PDA

View Full Version : im looking for a really good place to snorkel in southeast florida

gtstylez87
04/28/2010, 11:43 PM
i wish i could scuba but due to some health reasons i can't. i just got olympus stylus 8000 and want to put it to good use. i usually snorkel at John U Lloyd state park but im look for something different. does anyone know a good place to snorkel in this area. i am willing to drive, but not to like key biscayne or key largo. also i can only free dive to like 8 to 10 feet. any suggestions???

jdhuyvetter
04/29/2010, 10:47 AM
The pier at the end of commercial blvd. in Fort Lauderdale. North or south side, both are nice. The end of the pier is on the second reef line. First reef line is really just a rock ledge with some algae. Second reef line you start seeing corals and colored sponges.

Also, Behind the Breakers hotel in WPB. There is a public park to the south. You can walk or snorkel the park.

gtstylez87
05/01/2010, 04:50 PM
how deep is it there???

roblack
05/02/2010, 06:12 PM
Go at low tide for the deeper stuff, but there's lots to see for you even at high tide there. Did a few tank dives there and remember feeling as if the tanks were unnecessary.

laurarca
05/07/2010, 07:04 AM
I just purchased an Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 in St. Thomas...great deal there!! I lived in Boca Raton and right in the Boca Inlet, at the pier, are the most beautiful zoa colonies!! and the fish!! Just awesome...my camera was just purchased and used last week while on my vacation in St. Thomas and I am very pleased with the results.

streetjudge79
05/08/2010, 07:49 AM
Perfect spot for you, in the swim zone too, so you don't even need a dive flag. It's only 10 feet deep. 19201 Collins Avenue, behind the Ramada hotel in Sunny Isles Beach, only about 2 miles from the Dade/Broward county line. Beach parking right there on the ocean. You can see the reef from shore, very close. TONS of fish , some corals. There are two sets of manmade reefs there. Each one is about 40 yards long with a break in the middle. I even found a lionfish there.

fchidsey
05/08/2010, 11:23 AM
there is a reef that you can swim out to about 100 yards off the breaker hotel in palm beach. park south of the hotel and walk up the beach to the north side of the pool and swim east you cant miss it

it is in 10 - 20 feet of water with decent coral formations

DeepSeaHunter
05/16/2010, 07:10 PM
i'm gonna have to check out these suggested dive sites. i scuba dive, but much prefer free diving.

zachfishman
05/27/2010, 12:52 PM
There's a site called "The Jacks" (a long line of cement wave stabilizers that look like big jacks) running from just offshore all the way to the first reef in Dania Beach. They start at 8' and go to 17' before stopping at the first reef track. Not much in the way of coral, but lots of fish.

Walking north along the beach from Dania Beach Pier you'll come across two large cement jacks on the beach. From there swim perpendicularly out to sea and you will run into the line of jacks. Bring a dive flag, the whole shebang easily runs 1500ft out to sea. You can even see them on Google Maps satellite view:

http://bit.ly/ajS2lU

zachfishman
05/27/2010, 12:58 PM
19201 Collins Avenue, ...I even found a lionfish there.

I hope you killed it!

streetjudge79
05/28/2010, 05:39 PM
Nope, sure didn't. I'm not touching a lionfish, sorry. Besides, who goes snorkling with stuff to kill fish with?