PDA

View Full Version : What type of Sump / Filter do you run on your FOWLR?

jmik26
04/29/2010, 06:07 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my sump / wet dry to a custom sump. Before I do that I wanted to see what everybody else is running. I was told by my LFS that I need the bioballs but everybody that looks at the pics tells me to ditch them?

My current sump (pic below) is 28x10x14 and as you can see has NO room left, I cant even fit the plumbing for my GFO reactor... The tank is a 90 gallon FOWLR that has (1 - Yellow Tang, 1- Niger Trigger, 1 - PP Puffer, 1 - PB Tang, 1 - Majestic Angel) and around 75lbs of live rock.

My cabinet space below is 36x14x14. I have looked at 20 Long (30.25x12.5x12.75) tank which would fit nicely. What I would like to add in the new sump is:
1. Bubble traps.
2. More Room.
3. Proper filtration to address higher nitrates if possible.
4. Easy maintenance.

If any body could help, gives thoughts, or share pics that would be great... Jeff

Marc
04/29/2010, 09:50 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my sump / wet dry to a custom sump. Before I do that I wanted to see what everybody else is running. I was told by my LFS that I need the bioballs but everybody that looks at the pics tells me to ditch them?

My current sump (pic below) is 28x10x14 and as you can see has NO room left, I cant even fit the plumbing for my GFO reactor... The tank is a 90 gallon FOWLR that has (1 - Yellow Tang, 1- Niger Trigger, 1 - PP Puffer, 1 - PB Tang, 1 - Majestic Angel) and around 75lbs of live rock.

My cabinet space below is 36x14x14. I have looked at 20 Long (30.25x12.5x12.75) tank which would fit nicely. What I would like to add in the new sump is:
1. Bubble traps.
2. More Room.
3. Proper filtration to address higher nitrates if possible.
4. Easy maintenance.

If any body could help, gives thoughts, or share pics that would be great... Jeff

From what I can tell from the pictures is that you do not have enough liverock to use it as a biological filter in the display tank by itself. But on the other hand your fish needs space to swim and only a few caves to hide. What are your nitrate levels with the bioballs? You could add a larger custom sump with no bioball chamber and add liverock to the sump for extra filtration. Then you should have more room to work within the sump. Look at www.lifereef.com to get some ideas of what would suit your needs.

Marc

jmik26
04/30/2010, 06:20 AM
Yeah I cut back on the rock a little to give the fish some extra space to swim around. My nitrates are around 10. I guess its not that bad considering its a FOWLR tank but I figure if I am designing a new sump I should address the issue if possible. Thanks for the link, man that guy has some nice stuff. I have also been looking at advanced acrylics sumps... Jeff