PDA

View Full Version : Ice probe chipping, exposing Aluminum...

Ulver
04/29/2010, 07:31 PM
I've got a couple of ice probe chillers on my tank and I noticed that my oldest ice probe's paint is chipping and exposing the aluminum to the saltwater. I'm thinking about removing it, because I doubt any Al in saltwater is good. Here's what Novatec's website says:

"The IceProbe’s solid aluminum probe is coated with a very durable FDA compliant material. Care should always be taken when handling and installing the IceProbe to ensure that this coating is not scratched or chipped. If the coating is compromised, the underlying aluminum may begin to corrode and the coating may eventually fail. While failure of the coating material degrades the appearance of the probe, it will not affect the IceProbe’s cooling performance or the watertight seal. While aluminum exposure is generally considered safe (e.g. aluminum cookware), you may want to confirm that direct aluminum contact is acceptable in your application."

They are pretty vague on what is considered safe or not. Should I take it out? I've also noticed some irritated zoas.

bertoni
04/29/2010, 09:09 PM
I would take out the probe. Aluminum will irritate corals, and it corrodes in saltwater.

HighlandReefer
04/30/2010, 04:15 AM
I agree with Jonathan. ;)

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

mano84
04/30/2010, 04:27 AM
If I thought it was worth the effort I would try to fix the coating with a 2-part lacquer that I got when doing a styrofoam background in one of my freshwater tanks. It's considered safe and used by many public aquariums but I can't remember the name of it right now.

Ulver
04/30/2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info, it's coming out. I'm going to do a few large water changes over the next few days just in case.

mano, if you ever remember that coating you used, please let me know :)

mano84
04/30/2010, 10:09 AM
I did remember the name but I realized that the product is a Swedish one that don't seem to be available outside of Sweden but I'm sure that there is something similar elsewhere.

But if you happen to be from somewhere in Scandinavia here is a link to the online store (http://shop.epotex.se/epobed/akvarie-och-terrarie.html) that is only in Swedish and doesn't seem to be delivering outside of Sweden.