PDA

View Full Version : Fragging large toad stool

mchud
04/29/2010, 07:38 PM
I have a toad stool that is getting way too big for my tank. It looks great but it is now sheltering areas in my tank from light. If i frag it what is the best way to do it? The trunk is about 6 inches round and the head is 10 to 12 inches. I hate to do it but im am not ready to swutch to my bigger tank.

bussea02
05/01/2010, 03:48 PM
I used my best fillet knife and started making as many 2" squares as i could out of the "cap" of the mushroom (out of the water). Didn't try using the trunk but i would imagine you could do the same to it. I attached them all to some little pieces of rock that i had broken up. The hard part is keeping them on the pieces of rock inside the tank. I used fishing line to tie them to the rocks. Rubber bands would probably work better. Some people use a bridal veil mesh material to put over it while the pieces reattach.

They heal up pretty quickly and then you can give them away or whatever.

Make sure you have some really good soap on hand... after cutting them its almost impossible to get the smell off your hands.

Do a forum search and I would imagine you can find 10 better explanations on how to do it.

Bidadari
05/01/2010, 05:59 PM
A local fellow reefer just showed me how to frag my large toadstool.
You don't have to take it out of your tank. Just use very sharp razor blade and slice 1-2" from the edge whichever part you want to frag, which in my case gave me a big size frag.
He, then, took the frag out of the tank, then sliced that frag into two to make a reasonable size frags.

Glue two pieces of rubbles to make sort of a letter V or L; Pierce each frag with a toothpick (kind of making a kabob of toadstool), then glue each end of the toothpick that has the frag to the V shape rubbles. This technique secures the frag so it won't get blown away with the water current.
Put the frags in a good flow area to avoid any infections. My frags had already attached into the rubbles within 2 weeks.
Good luck!