PDA

View Full Version : K2r owners help needed

stocker
04/30/2010, 11:21 AM
Just bought this used, no instructions to be found. I have all the necessary hoses, just need to know what hose goes where. (ex, A connects to B,)
thanks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/stocker/IMG_5640.jpg

stocker
04/30/2010, 01:41 PM
bump

Vinny Kreyling
04/30/2010, 02:53 PM
www.coralfarms.com
1-408-735-8439
This should get you there.

stocker
04/30/2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks, but they went out of business a couple of years ago.

stocker
05/01/2010, 01:39 AM
anyone?

Kshack
05/01/2010, 11:16 AM
Try this.
"C" is your bubble counter/ CO2 input. Connect it to"D". Try running about 3lbs pressure in the second gage (first is amount of CO2 in tank).
"B" is the input water from either small pump or "T" off your main return.
"C" is the output and is placed in the sump. Just let it drip so you can see (and measure if needed) the amount going through the reactor. Adjust with valve at "B".

stocker
05/01/2010, 01:55 PM
Am at work at the moment, but I will try in the morning. Thank you much for the input.

stocker
05/01/2010, 01:58 PM
"C" is the output and is placed in the sump.
Did you mean "A" instead of C?

flamron
05/01/2010, 01:59 PM
Try this.
"C" is your bubble counter/ CO2 input. Connect it to"D". Try running about 3lbs pressure in the second gage (first is amount of CO2 in tank).
"A" is the output and is placed in the sump. Just let it drip so you can see (and measure if needed) the amount going through the reactor. Adjust with valve at "B".
Fixed typo

Put a valve on A, otherwise it will just pour out. And I am running 12lbs of pressure on my guage - FYI.

stocker
05/01/2010, 02:02 PM
Will do thanks.

jdieck
05/01/2010, 02:12 PM
Try this.
"C" is the output and is placed in the sump. Just let it drip so you can see (and measure if needed) the amount going through the reactor. Adjust with valve at "B".

With that regulator you might have some problems trying to maintin a stable bubble rate at 3 psi in the delivery side, if that happens try increasing the delivery pressure. Having said that, the higher the delivery pressure the more sensitive the CO2 needle valve will be to very small changes to the bubble rate so try looking for a "sweet" balance. The maximum delivery pressure I would recommend is 25 psi. To increase or reduce pressure, turn the black body knob in the regulator clockwise to rise and counter-clockwise to lower. IMPORTANT: Before opening the cylinder valve un-screw the knob to close the regulator, then slowly open the cylinder valve until it is fully open, check for leaks then slowly screw in the knob until the delivery pressure gauge reads the pressure you are looking for. This will prevent the delivery pressure gauge to get a "knock" of pressure potentially damaging it.
If you exceed the pressure you are looking for just un-screw the knob but note that it might take a while for the pressure to drop as a lot of gas can be stored in the delivery chamber. Be patient and enjoy!
By the way. This article may help you understand how it works, how to set it up, adjust it and if need to be, troubleshoot it..

Part 1: http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/past-issues/2009/october-2009/article/44-calcium-reactors-in-out-and-everything-in-between-part-1

Part 2: http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/past-issues/2009/october-2009/article/54-calcium-reactors-in-out-and-everything-in-between-part-2

stocker
05/01/2010, 03:29 PM
Will try. unfortunately I'm at work right now. Will def. make an attempt to get it going in the a.m.
Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated!
Don't have a p.h. monitor yet though. I ordered an RKL, from my local LFS. Should be in next week.(was on backorder)
Should I wait until then, or can I use the small cup method to measure the ph.

jdieck
05/01/2010, 04:34 PM
Will try. unfortunately I'm at work right now. Will def. make an attempt to get it going in the a.m.
Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated!
Don't have a p.h. monitor yet though. I ordered an RKL, from my local LFS. Should be in next week.(was on backorder)
Should I wait until then, or can I use the small cup method to measure the ph.

The small measuring cup and stop watch is to measure the effluent rate in ml/min. If you have a PH monitor you can measure the PH of the effluent by dripping it in a cup that overflows into the sump and submerging the PH probe in the cup.
You can set the reactor without a PH meter or controller but will be somehow more difficult to adjust.

To do so you can set up a steady effluent flow, say 30 ml/min and set up a bubble rate of about 15 to 20 bubbles per minute and test your tank alkalinity. Wait 24 hours and test the effluent alkalinity and your tank alkalinity. Effluent alkalinity shall be higher than the one of the tank and the tank reading should be the same as the day before, if it dropped increase the bubble rate (without exceeding a bubble rate equal to the effluent rate in ml/min in this case no more than 30 bpm, this is to prevent lowering the reactor PH too far without having a PH meter to confirm.)
If the tank alkalinity increased then reduce the bubble rate. Do this until the alkalinity of the tank stays the same.
Notice that in order for this to work you must have a very stable effluent flow and bubble rate. I suggest using a power head to feed water to the reactor.

Another alternative is to run the CO2 solenoid on a timer. Setup the reactor for maximum alkalinity output and then adjust the time the CO2 is on to match your tank alkalinity consumption. (The reactor will add alkalinity only when the CO2 is ON)

For the K2R an effluent flow of about 50 to 60 ml/min and a bubble rate of around 40 to 50 ml/min is about what it can handle. After 24 hours measure the alkalinity of the effluent, it shall be around 20 to 30 dKh with that reactor design. In this operating mode it is very important to track your tank alkalinity, as it is possible to add too much. You can prevent this if you start with a short time in the timer, Say on for 3 hours a day and start increasing it one hour every two days until your tank alkalinity stops dropping. Once it stops dropping then adjust it with a manual supplement to the level you want and the reactor which by now adds the same amount as it is consumed, will keep it there.

stocker
05/01/2010, 05:35 PM
thanks jDieck.