PDA

View Full Version : Copper questions-Sick Blue tang

rydr119
04/30/2010, 11:24 AM
I have been treating my fish with copper for coming on a week now. Everyone has been doing well, eating, acting normal. I haven't seen any ich now for a few days so I am assuming its working. Last night late I noticed my Blue tang wasn't swimming out like the rest of the fish, and I can see what to me looks like a bacterial infection on the left side of its tail and tail base. Will copper help with this or not. The fish is breathing heavier then usual and not active like normal. Is there anything I can do?
thanks Gina

Recty
04/30/2010, 01:55 PM
Copper will not help with a bacteria infection. It might slow down some bacteria growth (debatable) but it wont kill off bacteria in general.

rydr119
04/30/2010, 06:42 PM
Ok thats what I had figured. Thanks

RBU1
05/01/2010, 04:18 AM
I would continue with the copper treatment but do a few large water changes adding copper to the water change water to maintain the same level of copper. WHat type of copper are you using? As long as you dose the copper properly and the fish is still eating the chances of it making it thru are good.

rydr119
05/01/2010, 04:34 PM
I have been doing large water changes daily. I am using Seachem Cupramine. I have been testing each time before I add the copper. The fish is not eating, looks like its not going to make it. I started it on systemic antibiotics 2 days ago and the infection looks much better but I think the damage has already been done. I won't give up so hope for the best.

RBU1
05/01/2010, 07:14 PM
I dont like mixing meds....If the fish is not eating make sure your copper level is not to high. Its worth a try i would do a large water change and leave the copper out. See what happens.

rydr119
05/03/2010, 04:06 PM
The copper concentration was at 0.4 while I was dosing. I stopped the copper on saturday. I have been doing daily water changes of 25-35 gallons. The fish is breathing better and looks overall better, but is still listless. I think the antibiotics are helping but I just hope there not to late.

mborkush
05/04/2010, 10:37 AM
When copper is added to a quarantine tank, does it kill the bacteria that is grown during the tank cycling? I was wondering if this will cause higher amounts of Ammonia than in a DT.

rydr119
05/06/2010, 12:06 PM
So the tang is looking better, swimming a bit more and was eating a small amount today. My finger are still crossed, I know its not out of the woods yet. I am continuing with the antibiotics and have not dose any copper since 5/1. Now since ich was the original problem how can I be sure its been eradicated? I obviously haven't not done the full cycle on the copper like I was supposed to. I was wondering about freshwater baths. My DT has been fish free for 3 weeks. I am planning on keeping it fish free for a total of 8 weeks. If I do fresh water bath for my fish right before placing them back into the DT would that tank care of any remaining ich? Oh and I also have been doing like 50% water changes daily now.

Triggerfish
05/08/2010, 01:23 PM
. Now since ich was the original problem how can I be sure its been eradicated? I obviously haven't not done the full cycle on the copper like I was supposed to. I was wondering about freshwater baths. My DT has been fish free for 3 weeks. I am planning on keeping it fish free for a total of 8 weeks. If I do fresh water bath for my fish right before placing them back into the DT would that tank care of any remaining ich? Oh and I also have been doing like 50% water changes daily now.

keep main tank fallow for 12 weeks. the fish may have been sensitive to the copper.
i would only maintain a therapeutic dosage once the fish shows no further ill effects. maintain the dose for the 2-4 week period. then monitor fish for another 4 weeks to ensure no signs of parasite appears.
freshwater dips will only possibly pop cysts near the very surface of the fishes skin.. really only to be used when fish is in extremely poor condition where immediate relief is required.

rydr119
05/09/2010, 07:27 AM
Well the tang is definitely eating so thats a good thing and its swimming out and about more, also a plus. I will try the copper again and see what happens, otherwise I am going to have to switch to Hypo.
Thanks for all the help so far.
-Gina

Triggerfish
05/09/2010, 12:36 PM
I will try the copper again

again, use a lower dosage than b/f.. .2 or something like that i think...

prickles
05/09/2010, 07:35 PM
Or you can try coppersafe? It is a different form of copper I believe and might be easier on that particular fish. It has not bothered any of my tangs in the past. Just make sure you do enough water changes to clear out the previous copper.

Chris27
05/10/2010, 07:46 AM
Congrats on a successful QT period - your efforts and results speak highly of the QT practice. Keep taking it slow, and don't rush putting the fish back into the display.