PDA

View Full Version : My fish just started to freak out!!

JLAURIA751
04/30/2010, 03:18 PM
My jack dempsey just started to freak out swimming around the tank violently bouncing off the glass the bottom, and the decorations. Iv had him for 2 years and this is the first time he has done that. he scratched himself up pretty bad. He is in a 55 gallon with 4 other small fish. anyone have any ideas why?

ArmanS
04/30/2010, 03:20 PM
Jack dempseys shouldn't be in that small of a tank. I had one in the past for 3 years until I sold my FW setup. They get spooked pretty easily and like hiding places.

JLAURIA751
04/30/2010, 03:42 PM
he has hiding places, I would give him to the pet store but they would put him in a much smaller space.

Tuscaquatics
04/30/2010, 05:53 PM
I would think he's fine in a 55. I wouldn't try to keep more than one in a 55. Like stated above, they need a cave of some sort to "defend."

TripleT
04/30/2010, 06:19 PM
My jack dempsey just started to freak out swimming around the tank violently bouncing off the glass the bottom, and the decorations. Iv had him for 2 years and this is the first time he has done that. he scratched himself up pretty bad. He is in a 55 gallon with 4 other small fish. anyone have any ideas why?

You need to check all of your water parameters, especially ammonia, nitrites, temp, ph, salinity.

What is your water change regimen?

Is it possible that any stray voltage is zapping the tank? Faulty pump, heater, etc?