PDA

View Full Version : Dosing 2 part

allset
04/30/2010, 08:53 PM
I recently start dosing 2 part and already getting lazy.I am looking to automate the process with dosing pump.I have read about Profilux dosing pumps and LiterMeter(they are kinda expensive),but do they worth the money?

Johnny C
04/30/2010, 09:55 PM
They are both among "the best". Another reliable (perhaps cost effective) option would be a Bubble Magus Doser. They get great reviews! Last but not least, a good majority of hobbyists use the Drews/BRS Dosers. They work well. HTH! :)

allset
04/30/2010, 10:41 PM
Do you know where is the Bubble Magus pumps made?The price is good though!The BRS pumps got good reviews,but when you add the controllers,the cost goes up!Thanks for the info!

Slim_jim989
04/30/2010, 10:55 PM
the bubble magus is a really good deal, its an all in one. so you can buy it for 300 bucks. with the BRS pumps its about 100 bucks per so thats 300 and you still need a controler so thats prob almost 5. So its really what you feel, the litermeter get good reviews as well. but pricey as well. heres a link to the bubble magus
http://bubble-magus.com/en/productShow.asp?id=970

allset
04/30/2010, 11:16 PM
I was leaning towards Profilux(I liked the all in one unit with 4pumps),but the $600 versus $300 for the Bubble Magus with 3 pumps is... $300 to spend on better skimmer(I need one ).The only thing is I am not familiar with this brand(I am a newbie),I hope is not made in China!?

allset
04/30/2010, 11:28 PM
Ooops,I found the answer on my question(Thanks for the link Slim jim989)!They are made in China,but anyway,does anyone have used these pumps and what do you think?Thanks for the input!

Slayer311
04/30/2010, 11:52 PM
The drews dosing pumps can be run off of cheap digital timers as well, so they "can" be the most cost effective option especially since there is a DIY dosing pump build in the diy section that uses the same pump / heads as the drews dosing pumps for less. A controller will give you much more accurate dosing however.

63vette427
05/01/2010, 09:35 AM
I looked into the same doser myself. I ended up getting the Profilux stand alone doser. It seemed that ones i bought all the drews dosers that i needed and controller, i was close to the same price. Not the exact but close enough for me. The Litermeter looks like a great unit but the price really gets high once you start buying all the add on to get it where you want it.

r-balljunkie
05/01/2010, 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVAyUlcD9EE

any thoughts?

im soooooo cheap. since these arent constant duty and the replacement pump is 11 bux. anyone try this?
c

Johnny C
05/01/2010, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVAyUlcD9EE

any thoughts?

im soooooo cheap. since these arent constant duty and the replacement pump is 11 bux. anyone try this?
c
This isn't the hobby to be 'cheap'. I would never rely on Aqualifters as they aren't very precise at all.

James77
05/01/2010, 12:19 PM
I would also not rely on aqualifters for dosing, you can easily overdose and kill everything. The bulkreefsupply dosers are cheap, yet high quality. Throw them on a couple digital timers and you have fully automated dosing for about $200. It could be cheaper if you find them used or get in on a group buy.

r-balljunkie
05/01/2010, 04:25 PM
out of all folks...i realize the hobby is not cheap, by all means. im on tank 8 or 9.....i cant remember, and have tons of $$$ tied up in some nifty and expensive corals. i think if you tie everything into your controller, your not going to overdose, i.e. set to run 4x daily at lets say 2-3 minute intervals. as far as adjustments, the video shows that they are tied into a needle valve, so yes, you could make finite adjustments to figure out the drip rate. im always looking for good diy stuff, and this seems to be very practical and budget oriented.

end of the day, just looking for some feedback from everyone, especially if you have tried this.

Oh, and the pumps are 10 bux each, not 11!

you could shelve a couple as backups, on the cheap.

just foor for thought.

dj9264
05/01/2010, 04:30 PM
BRS is $10 off looks better than the Drew's for the same price.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html

dj9264
05/01/2010, 04:44 PM
PS. Skip the pumps. I gravity feed Kalk with a micro valve about 1-1.5 gallons every day slow drip. So, no pumps are needed at all. I use a Ca reactor but you can gravity feed two part.

James77
05/01/2010, 06:32 PM
I would definitely not recommend dripping two part. Dosing pumps are a far more reliable, accurate, and safe way to automate dosing two part, which is what the OP is looking to do.

sjm817
05/01/2010, 08:58 PM
Dosing requires an exact amount to be added. Aqualifters make great topoff pumps, including limewater topoff when used in conjunction with a float switch to control the amount delivered. They are not suitable for 2 part dosing. A pair of BRS Drews pumps and a $10 digital timer (1 minute increments) is about $200.

allset
05/02/2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you all for the responds!After all the reading and research,I decided to go with the Profilux unit.