PDA

View Full Version : Ideas and tips for fragging a hammer

vaporlockv2
04/30/2010, 09:08 PM
So how do I frag a hammer? Do I just cut one of the heads off? How should I do it? Any advice welcome.

getzvillereefer
04/30/2010, 09:48 PM
If its a wall it could be trouble, but judging by the fact that you used the description of heads, it most likely isn't. Its my understanding that you can frag anywhere that is skeletal so when making your cuts just avoid the live tissue

vaporlockv2
05/01/2010, 12:53 AM
Okay I was wondering because on the stalk it seems a little slimy so I didn't know if that was live tissue or not. It has four heads on it now and is getting a little big for my tank, so it has to be trimmed back.

mcfeefer
05/01/2010, 06:20 AM
Just grab and break off .

forrestcook
05/01/2010, 02:53 PM
I've been told break off where the stalk is NO LONGER slimy... Go far enough down and the stalk should just feel like rock. This isn't experience talking, it's just the answer I was given when I asked a while back... still haven't fragged mine yet.

Zappo
05/01/2010, 06:56 PM
Just grab and break off .

This is how they did it when I bought a hammer at the LFS. As long as you're not breaking through live tissue (should be obvious by feel) it'll be fine. I just stuck it to a piece of live rock using epoxy and it seems pretty happy with the arrangement.

SDguy
05/01/2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, best to break far enough down where there is no live tissue on the skeleton.

vaporlockv2
05/02/2010, 03:25 AM
Ok I felt down the stalks and it is slimy all the way down to the base where the branches separate. So I need to frag it down there? Also I noticed two little "twigs" coming off of one of the branches, are these the start of new heads?

SDguy
05/02/2010, 06:44 AM
OK I felt down the stalks and it is slimy all the way down to the base where the branches separate. So I need to frag it down there? Also I noticed two little "twigs" coming off of one of the branches, are these the start of new heads?

Perhaps using the "slimy" test is not the way to go here :) Here's a pic of one of mine. As you can see, the areas with tissue look quite different from the areas of bare skeleton. Simply cut below the tissue, and you'll be fine:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/For%20sale/Hammer2.jpg

As for the tiny heads hat sometimes form, I think these are like backup heads, in case something happens to the main head above them. IME they don't form into full new heads, usually. The coral grows by simply splitting the main head...

vaporlockv2
05/02/2010, 04:15 PM
Ahhhh, ok. Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!

footballdude2k3
05/03/2010, 03:40 PM
my hammer doesnt have head that split from each other, it has little heads that pop up from the branch itself, i got it about 2 weeks ago had 5 big heads, now have 5 little ones popping up on it :)

hm66204
05/03/2010, 03:42 PM
for what its worth id recommend using bone cutters rather than just snapping it off, that way the location is controlled, i had one split to high up and damage the head rather than down toward the base below the tissue

getzvillereefer
05/03/2010, 08:46 PM
i could be mistaken, but I think at one point I was told that the little twig looking things are an anenome of some kind? I know that the ones on my frog spawn skeleton let out a cob web looking thing when they get ****ed off during water changes..