PDA

View Full Version : New fish in Quarentine

solitude127
05/01/2010, 12:06 PM
I bought a new fish from my LFS and currently have him in my QT tank. How long do you keep the fish in there for?

jjk_reef00
05/01/2010, 01:22 PM
What kind of fish? Are you planning to treat it with anything or just observe?
I typically do 1 month but I treat with cupramine and prazipro. If you are just observing the fish I would say 2 months. Some say you don't need 2 months but I like to be careful.

solitude127
05/01/2010, 03:00 PM
I got burned with my last fish purchase and it wiped out 70& of my fish. Since I learned my lesson, I'm going to QT from now on. Is it always best to treat with Prazipro and cupramine regardless of current health? BTW, it's a multi colored angel and my QT tank is a 10 gallon with a penquin bio-weel filter with a few pounds of live rock. I assume I have to take the live rock out when treating, correct?

solitude127
05/01/2010, 03:11 PM
Also, is there anything else I need to treat with?

mmm67
05/01/2010, 03:37 PM
I treat my system with copper, Praziquantel powder for fluke worms and Kanamycin sulfate powder for internal and external fungal and bacterial infection
hope this helps

RegalAngel
05/01/2010, 05:19 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16566626&postcount=23

For my recent purchase from the Divers Den of a Large East Africa Emperor Angelfish, I observed for a week after receipt from DD.

jjk_reef00
05/02/2010, 01:54 AM
I prefer treating the fish even if the appear disease free.

I've heard from several reliable sources that cupramine is easier on fish than other copper treatments. That is all I've ever used and I haven't had any problems. You should be careful because some of the dwarf angels are sensitive to copper. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of those fish can chime in.

I prefer to take out the live rock so I know nothing is absorbed. I use a piece of pvc so the fish can hide. Also cut out the carbon out of the cartridge if you are using it on the hob filer.

Praziquantel powder is basically the same thing as prazipro. I've used both but find prazi is a little easier to work with.

solitude127
05/02/2010, 02:19 PM
I was told the same thing at my LFS that dwarf angels are sensitive to copper. For those of you who treat copper, do you test for copper levels daily?

jjk_reef00
05/02/2010, 09:25 PM
I don't test for copper only because I remove everything that can absorb the copper (rock, sand). Then when I do water changes I add water to the tank with 5 gallon buckets so I know how much new water I'm adding back in, then dose accordingly.

If you are going to use cupramine on a dwarf angel I would start at half their recommended dosage and see how the fish reacts to the treatment. If you are worried about ich you can try hypo-salinity. I would definitely treat for flukes.