PDA

View Full Version : Requirements of a BB Tank

saltyliving
05/01/2010, 04:56 PM
Im working on a new build and want to go BB. What do i need to do to be sucsessful with a BB. Deep sand bed in my fuge lots of extra LR in sump.

I am just curious on what tactics people use for a productive BB SPS tank.

Thanks

SeanT
05/01/2010, 05:14 PM
The "How to go Barebottom thread."
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650985

saltyliving
05/01/2010, 06:57 PM
that talks about the process of of converting to BB. As far as I saw it doesnt address what it takes to maintain a BB tank.

What additional steps as far as equipment( a good skimmer thats obvious) but what about the other things involved. I.E. WC, DSP in sump and other tactics to keep nutrients down w/o a sandbed.

flyyyguy
05/01/2010, 06:59 PM
a dsb in the sump certainly is not a prerequisite, and IMO goes against part of what makes a BB tank great

I.E. NO SAND lol

SeanT
05/01/2010, 07:52 PM
Siphon detritus regularly.

saltyliving
05/02/2010, 09:09 AM
so more flow, siphon detritus thats it??

schroder_reef
05/02/2010, 10:45 AM
From my experience, you need to watch your parameters a lot closer. I had a BB sps tank and my CA fluctuated more than with a DSB. Definitely add tons of flow and a good skimmer. I did have a fuge, but they can be good and bad like anything. It is possible, I just siphoned the detritus once a week and never had issues with much. Here's a photo.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq218/schroder_reef/ReefNov2608.jpg

needyreefer
05/12/2010, 12:49 AM
SeanT: Do you have any bufferfing problems without having a sand bed? How are you maintaining your calcium levels, ph, etc.? On my new setup im leaning towards going BB and I'm curious to see how stable those parameters are (compared to a shallow sand bed) without having sand.

Also whats the consensus on water changes? Are you guys changing water (to remove nutrients and maintain calcium, alk, ph) more frequently?
Thanks!

rutz81
05/12/2010, 05:00 AM
High flow, Big skimmer(skimming on the wet side), siphon anything that settles. Everything else is pretty much like a standard tank.

64Ivy
05/12/2010, 06:35 AM
Do you have any bufferfing problems without having a sand bed? How are you maintaining your calcium levels, ph, etc.? On my new setup im leaning towards going BB and I'm curious to see how stable those parameters are (compared to a shallow sand bed) without having sand.

Also whats the consensus on water changes? Are you guys changing water (to remove nutrients and maintain calcium, alk, ph) more frequently?
Thanks!

I change water weekly; more out of habit now than anything else but my water parameters are well within acceptable ranges and stable. More importantly, the corals are doing really well, therefore, if it ain't broke...

As far as buffering is concerned, I do add a bit of Calcium to my Reef Crystals to keep the levels up. I also employ both a Calcium reactor and a kalk mixer/doser to maintain those levels.

I perform my detritus siphoning every two weeks.

lowman31
05/12/2010, 07:21 AM
I agree with the previous posters. The skimmer is especially important IMO. I was having trouble with NO3 with my old skimmer (berlin classic). Since I got a better skimmer my nitrates are under control. Siphoning the dirt is important. I also take time to blow the dirt out from under my rocks and in between rocks. I maintain Ca and Alk with Randy's two part and Kalk in my top off. I add extra Alk when needed to get keep the pH around 8.4(daytime measurement with pinpoint monitor).

SeanT
05/12/2010, 10:11 AM
Needyreefer,
I do not. But as 64Ivy stated, I too change water weekly out of habit.
Regardless of which methedology you use it is always good practice to test to ensure your levels are where you wish them to be.

Sean

needyreefer
05/13/2010, 02:03 AM
Thanks SeanT and 64ivy, I've been doing weekly water changes for 7 years now so it won't be a big deal haha! I'm just more concerned about ph fluctuations. Having nothing in the water to kind of always stabalize out your levels( At least thats what I put in my head to make me feel better about it. . . might be fuzzy logic) just kinda makes me worry. I'll be doing a 2 part so I'm not worried about Ca and Alk levels.