PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin shrimp Mystery Wrasse food?

wycombes
05/01/2010, 10:17 PM
I have tried a couple of times to get some Harlequin shrimp to survive in my tank. Acclaimated over hours, and still not making it. What is the possiblility the mystery wrasse I have is eating them? It is the only fish that I have that I would go after them. Keep the Alk around 8-9, Calcium 420, NH4 is 0, pH is 8.2-8.4.

Guygettnby
05/03/2010, 08:02 AM
:lol: im sorry for that but the mystery wrasse if you did your home work absolutely loves to eat shrimp. putting small shrimp in the tank after you have had a mystery wrasse living in it is like feeding them an expensive shrimp dinner.

with that said the best way to keep any shrimp with a mystery wrasse is to have the shrimp established in the tank before adding the mystery wrasse. but even still i would not recomend small shrimp at all. another thing wich i have found out is once they have a taste for the shrimp they never really forget.

jason2459
05/03/2010, 08:10 AM
Yep, extremely high chance the mystery wrasse is eating them. I had 4 peppermint shrimps, a bloodred shrimp, and a pistol shrimp in my tank well before adding a mystery wrasse. I did take out two of the peppermint shrimps and put them in a refugium as these guys just devour aptasia. The next day after introducing the mystery wrasse the peppermint shrimp in the tank were fish food. Only thing left was a small meaty tail piece stuck to a powerhead.

The fireshrimp lasted another week amazingly. I though it would make it but I was watching the tank one day and the shrimp darted out from a little cave opening. Right behind it was the wrasse. In one quick attack the mystery wrasse took the shrimps head clean off.

But for some reason the mystery wrasse just eye balls the pistol shrimp but wont go in for the kill. :spin1:

Sanagy
05/03/2010, 08:39 AM
That's the main reason I haven't added a mystery wrasse to my tank, even though I love the look of the fish. I like my shimp too much :)

mmenz22779
05/03/2010, 02:04 PM
Yep, extremely high chance the mystery wrasse is eating them. I had 4 peppermint shrimps, a bloodred shrimp, and a pistol shrimp in my tank well before adding a mystery wrasse. I did take out two of the peppermint shrimps and put them in a refugium as these guys just devour aptasia. The next day after introducing the mystery wrasse the peppermint shrimp in the tank were fish food. Only thing left was a small meaty tail piece stuck to a powerhead.

The fireshrimp lasted another week amazingly. I though it would make it but I was watching the tank one day and the shrimp darted out from a little cave opening. Right behind it was the wrasse. In one quick attack the mystery wrasse took the shrimps head clean off.

But for some reason the mystery wrasse just eye balls the pistol shrimp but wont go in for the kill. :spin1:

ouch that fireshrimp was a 25.00 meal. I did not mine losing 1 of my peppermints (3.99) but when i saw my Fire dead I thought CRAP....

right now I am sticking with damsels. 2.00 at my fishstore when you buy 5 of them. Pretty and colorful, cheap if they die. For somereason I lost $50.00 in fish last month. Time to get the cheap guys for a bit.

jason2459
05/03/2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I miss the other shrimps in the tank. At least I still have the tiger pistol. If I lose him I'll be ****ed and the wrasse will have to go.

mmenz22779
05/03/2010, 03:04 PM
I had the same type of situation, it was emerald crabs vs my feather dusters. They were eating them I enjoy feather dusters so out went my crabs back to the fish store.

wycombes
05/04/2010, 08:08 PM
Hey thanks you all. Not sure I will be able to ever trap the wrasse, pretty sneaky fish. I guess I will have to lay off the shrimp.

Grasshopper23
04/08/2011, 10:02 PM
I have had a harlequin shrimp for a few months and added a mystery wrasse three weeks ago. So far so good...

mscarpena
04/09/2011, 08:29 AM
I have had a harlequin shrimp for a few months and added a mystery wrasse three weeks ago. So far so good...

Your lucky, but at some point it will probably happen.

Grasshopper23
06/13/2011, 11:04 PM
Three months in and still harley is still doing well. The real test will be adding a new different shrimp. I'll post again when I do.

snorvich
06/16/2011, 08:51 PM
That's the main reason I haven't added a mystery wrasse to my tank, even though I love the look of the fish. I like my shimp too much :)

Likewise. Cool fish but not for me.

brannock_16
06/16/2011, 10:19 PM
Are scotts fairy wrasses shrimp eaters too?

Chelle's Ocean
07/02/2011, 03:32 PM
What about a yellow coris...banana wrasse? Do you think they would do the same thing? Just put a harlequin in my tank...cannot find him after 3 days?