PDA

View Full Version : Prazipro dosing interval

Yogre
05/02/2010, 07:50 AM
Hello all,

A couple of months ago, I dosed my display tank with Prazipro in an effort to deal with a fluke infestation on my anthias. I think the flukes have come back; I've had a couple of mysterious deaths, and a couple of fish are behaving oddly. No new livestock have been introduced recently.

So, this morning I dosed Prazi per label recommendations (tank is a 215). I want to use a second dose to make sure I get all the flukes this time. The label says wait at least 5 days before a second dose, and I know some wait 10 days between doses. Any suggestions for my second dose interval, or is it not that critical as long as it's within that 5-10 day interval?

Thanks!

JHemdal
05/02/2010, 09:14 AM
I wait 14 days between doses - if the fluke species you are dealing with is an egg-laye,r you need to give time for the eggs to hatch out, but not so much time that they can hatch out and then lay new eggs.

Also, if you lose another fish, and it is still relatively fresh, soak it in tap water for 5 minutes and settle it out, and look for flukes that have dropped off. A bit after-the-fact, but a positive diagnosis is important to help the other fish.

Jay

Yogre
05/02/2010, 10:01 AM
I wait 14 days between doses - if the fluke species you are dealing with is an egg-laye,r you need to give time for the eggs to hatch out, but not so much time that they can hatch out and then lay new eggs.

Also, if you lose another fish, and it is still relatively fresh, soak it in tap water for 5 minutes and settle it out, and look for flukes that have dropped off. A bit after-the-fact, but a positive diagnosis is important to help the other fish.

Jay

Jay, thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would see this thread. Unfortunately, the last couple of losses I haven't been able to retrieve for a post-mortem, they've gone up behind a big rock wall never to be seen again. My fluke diagnosis is presumptive; the symptoms are much like the last infestation, and it was definitely flukes last time.

I wish now I had dosed twice last outbreak, I'd be done with it now. :rolleyes:

I also wish I had quarantined my anthias in the first place, I think the flukes rode in on them.

duastina
05/10/2010, 10:04 AM
Is Prazipro safe for crabs and BTA?

gweston
05/10/2010, 02:21 PM
Supposedly Prazipro is safe for everything, except for feather/ornamental/tube worms. I suspect it'll be bad for small feather dusters and the like as well.

Yogre
05/10/2010, 03:50 PM
I've not had any issues with anything in my tank, knock on wood. I have a ton of inverts, 3 rock flower anemones, and just a couple of corals. Even the worms I can see through the glass working the sand seem to be unaffected.

I'm going to run carbon this Wednesday, then dose 2 will go in Sunday. Per Jay's advice, that will be a 14 day interval.

duastina
05/11/2010, 07:31 AM
Great thanks for the info, unfortuatally my tang now has pop eye so i'm treating for that right now with melafix, or can I use the Prazipro at the same time?

juicesay
05/11/2010, 05:47 PM
Prazipro and Melfix combination may be too much stress for the fish to handle.

I'd advise using it one at a time.

A bit of Prazi will stun all your inverts, as they label it "Safe," too much may stun all inverts permanently, possibly kill them.

Depends if you have your skimmer on or off, 14 days is when your skimmer is off.

5 days when it's on. I wouldn't leave it in, as you're wasting your money.

A bottle of Prazi isn't cheap!

Yogre
05/11/2010, 06:53 PM
I've had absolutely no effect on my inverts at all. I have porcelain crabs, red mithrax crabs, decorator crabs, trochus snails, turbo snails, and cerith snails, as well as a rogue hitch-hiker N. wennerae mantis. Not a one of them has shown any adverse effects at all. If there has been any effect, it has suppressed my fishes appetites.

The 14 day interval has nothing to do with use of your skimmer. If you try to use your skimmer (in direct contravention of the manufacturer's directions) it will almost certainly overflow, as Prazi really foams up your tank. As the above posts have indicated, the 14 day interval is to insure that fluke hatchlings as well as adults are killed.