PDA

View Full Version : Gulf oil spill,Is it the of ocean life!!!

hal000
05/02/2010, 12:29 PM
I am sure you all know what is going on with the oil spill! I just want to know you thoughts on this!

The amount of oil that is being spilled daily is clearly being covered up, a simple google search shows so many differnt gallons per day, from <100,000->42,000,000 gallons per day, alot of news reports say, 100,000 barrels a day(1 barrel=42 gallons) do the math! IMO it is probally in the millions somewhere! what do you think!

how long is this going to take to stop, they are saying maybe months, ***!

this is in the gulf stream what is going to happen to the keys, the rest of the oceans by the time this is stopped? is their going to be beaches left in fla. or are we gonne have tar pits?

how much oil can be pumped into the ocean without seriously effecting it! hell they where alreday saying that all the reefs will be gone with in the next 20-30 years, what about now, how many years are we knocking off now, will the oceans be the same a year from now, will they be gone!

returnofsid
05/02/2010, 01:20 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841795

ksweat
05/03/2010, 01:16 AM
I have been working in the gulf of mexico on oil rigs and platforms for the past 10yrs. Trust me when I tell you these oil company's go to great lengths to make sure that the impact they have on the wildlife is minimal. What happen on the Deepwater Horizon was an accident and don't get me wrong I am concerned about the affect on the wildlife but lets not forget that there are 11 men who will not be going home to their families or playing with their kids or going hunting or fishing or whatever it is that they do on their time off. This subject hits close to home because this is the work that I do everyday and that could have been me on that rig. I have friends that were on that rig that morning and were lucky enough to come home before the accident. I understand that people are concerned about the environment as am I but I wish more attention was payed to the 11 families that are grieving right now.

troyman
05/03/2010, 05:01 AM
im more concerned with the fish and birds and othe water life

kimber45
05/03/2010, 05:40 AM
if they where your family i'm sure your you wouldn't be. :thumbdown

awolusa
05/03/2010, 12:07 PM
I also work in the Offshore business and know that reef keepers and saltwater fish keepers most likely do more damage to the reefs and sea life than the Oil Companies.
Every coral and fish that is removed from the reefs are one more that is not producing offspring. Every piece of live rock that is removed is a shelter or home for a fish or coral!!!!

Regard
Roger

RVANANO
05/03/2010, 12:13 PM
I think the confusion is that different reports are showing gallons and barrels. 1 barrel is about 42 gallons.

The estimates I read are 5000 barrels a day or about 200,000 gallons per day. The Valdez disaster was about 11million gallons. It would take 54 days for this to pass the Valdez spill.

BP is currently working on a chimney structure to drop on top of the spill. In essence, it would funnel the oil that is spilling out of the collapsed well and then bring it to a containment ship. They "claim" it could take care of as much as 85% of the oil coming out. From what I have read it seems like a pretty soild plan. Hopefully it will work. I hate that the govt is making BP out to be the antichrist. They have hundreds of platforms and they are very safe. It's not like you can just screw the cap on a 2 liter bottle. It takes a lot of planning to contain something like this and doesn't happen over night. BP will pay and takes full responsibility so what more do they want?

saltydude
05/03/2010, 12:18 PM
More concerned with enviroment. 11 people are dead, yeah thats sad but will not bring about untold damage to the earth, but the damage to the earth is long lasting.

RVANANO
05/03/2010, 12:45 PM
Side note to the original topic. IMO, The one thing no one mentions when they talk about reefs dying off b/c of various reasons is that the same parameters will probably change elsewhere allowing new reefs to start. Studies have shown that many desert areas where once glaciers, and then oceans. These cycles have been going on since the beginning of this earth. And will continue to do so with or without human intervention.

Now I am all for doing all we can to stay green and to prevent our natural habitats from changing but the ever changing earth will continue to change no matter what we do. Even if global warming is over exagerated (which I do believe is the case) I will still do what I can to try and minimize my carbon and waste footprint. Except for my cars. I don't drive anything (nor would I want to) that gets better than 20 mpg's :)

fishez4alivin
05/03/2010, 01:22 PM
The problem with this spill is that the MAJORITY of what is coming out, isnt floating to the surface of the ocean. I'd hate to see the images of what is going on below the surface, I guarantee that it won't be pretty, and worse yet, there is no technology currently to clean that kind of spill up.

reefinder
05/03/2010, 01:49 PM
this whole thing sucks, when are we going to switch to alternative fuels, and a cleaner living, does man have to destroy everything at the price of a dollar. drilling oil, daily dumping's of million of gallons of waster in the ocean, over fishing. I have little faith in man kind doing the right thing.

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 01:54 PM
More oil is released into the gulf naturally every day than what is spewing out of this well.. Just not as concentrated. Oil is a naturall occurence and the ocean can break it down.. The damages, although ugly, are not permanent... That being said, it is time to move away from the stuff.. It is the processing and use that is really doing all the damage....

RVANANO
05/03/2010, 02:06 PM
Agreed^ No one seems to talk about the fact that oil is NATURAL!!!! I think the amount of trash we dump is far more damaging than anything to do with oil production. The thing that blows my mind is how flippin lazy everyone is. You can now buy just about anything in disposeable form. To me THAT is the main crime of mankind. Don't clean or re-use products. Just throw it away and get another one from the dispensery!!! Wha wha whaaaaa

smsreefer
05/03/2010, 02:31 PM
I also work in the Offshore business and know that reef keepers and saltwater fish keepers most likely do more damage to the reefs and sea life than the Oil Companies.
Every coral and fish that is removed from the reefs are one more that is not producing offspring. Every piece of live rock that is removed is a shelter or home for a fish or coral!!!!

Regard
Roger

Your joking ,right ?
Tell that BS to the 20 Sea Turtles that washed ashore here overnight. [dead]
There is a lot more BS being posted right now that I am not going into right now .
I am heading to a class so I can help clean-up the wildlife and dispose of oil balls as it shows up on our barrier islands and local shores.

Kungpaoshizi
05/03/2010, 02:35 PM
to those who showed no respect to the fellow who brought up the point of the 11 lives lost, and they said 'I'm more concerned with the wildlife".
Do it then.
Get off your sorry backside and go help the wildlife.
I'm utterly disgusted at the ignorance displayed for your fellow man.
That also goes both ways and I completely understand what the other guy said about 'you guys do more damage than disasters' to the reefs etc.
Because yes, the 'wildlife' is taken, from their habitat, into our glass cages.
And if a poll was taken about everyone who has ever had any fish/corals etc, I bet it would be a drastic number of wildlife WE kill every year for our "hobby".
Think about those things before you scourn someone showing sympathy for the recently departed.
Your insensitivity displays perfectly the same kind of mentality behind the behavior that creates these types of scenarios when related to 'human error' because of laziness or neglect.
I've never seen so many ignorant, insensitive, and stubborn people until I got into aquariums, and they shine through all the time, it's disgusting.

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 02:35 PM
red tide.... not man made

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 02:36 PM
Ibtl

evokevin
05/03/2010, 02:36 PM
uranium 235 is natural, but i don't think you would like 10 grams of it in your stomach all at once....

justifying an oil spill as natural is about the most foolish thing i've heard all day. there are some things that exist in nature, but we as humans make it very unnatural (like pumping it out of the ocean bed then releasing it into the ocean... or enriching uranium to extremely lethal concetrations for weapons). burning coal/oil is also very unnatural. sure it happens "naturally", but nature didn't have this:
http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~idh/apod/image/0611/trencher2_smd_big.jpg
digging it up, and half a billion cars burning the oil.

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 02:44 PM
^^^ You dont read too well do you??

anbosu
05/03/2010, 02:46 PM
red tide.... not man made

It is exacerbated by man when we pollute the oceans.

awolusa
05/03/2010, 02:49 PM
Your joking ,right ?
Tell that BS to the 20 Sea Turtles that washed ashore here overnight. [dead]
There is a lot more BS being posted right now that I am not going into right now .
I am heading to a class so I can help clean-up the wildlife and dispose of oil balls as it shows up on our barrier islands and local shores.

Some more misinformation!!!! Just heard on the news that there is not a trace of oil on the turtles and they were not in an area where the slick is and so far there has been one bird found and it was most likely sick which why it got into the oil.

There are so many people who think this is a lot of oil. It is not good but more oil is released naturally over the year into the GOM than what is in the sea from the Blow-out and it does not harm anything.

The rough seas have been good because it is helping the oil to evaporate and so it will not reach shore. The largest part of the slick is a sheen which evaporates quickly. Remember oil evaporates. Also one of the things oil does is float on salt water. Someone mentioned all the mess by the wellhead. There is none!!!!!!

Regards
Roger

da1jewfish
05/03/2010, 03:03 PM
To all of you who say that oil is naturally released by nature everyday. So are you saying that this oil spill is no big deal? Its not going to kill any marine life, its not going to halt industries, its not going to display oil on beaches and wildlife? I cannot believe some of you are actually saying this

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 03:05 PM
To all of you who say that oil is naturally released by nature everyday. So are you saying that this oil spill is no big deal? Its not going to kill any marine life, its not going to halt industries, its not going to display oil on beaches and wildlife? I cannot believe some of you are actually saying this

um could you quote where any thing of the sort was said? I actually said the opposite... Slow down killer

footballdude2k3
05/03/2010, 03:10 PM
to all of you that say that everybody in this hobby takes things out of the ocean and kills it, every coral that i have in my tank has been aquacultured or fragged from a fellow hobbiest. granted at some point it was taken out of the ocean, but it is about responsibility, you can provide a great home for these corals, the fish/inverts that i choose i give a great home and make sure that there are no predators in the tank so i am not taking things out that i cannot provide a good home for. dont pin everybody in the same group.

having said that there are very bad hobbiest that put things in their tank that do not belong, also there should be at least 2 ways to shut off an oil well. you are telling me that we have the technology to drill a hole 5000 feet down and pump the contents to an oil rig but we do not have a properly working set of off switches? something sounds flawed about that....

evokevin
05/03/2010, 03:15 PM
Some more misinformation!!!! Just heard on the news that there is not a trace of oil on the turtles and they were not in an area where the slick is and so far there has been one bird found and it was most likely sick which why it got into the oil.

There are so many people who think this is a lot of oil. It is not good but more oil is released naturally over the year into the GOM than what is in the sea from the Blow-out and it does not harm anything.

The rough seas have been good because it is helping the oil to evaporate and so it will not reach shore. The largest part of the slick is a sheen which evaporates quickly. Remember oil evaporates. Also one of the things oil does is float on salt water. Someone mentioned all the mess by the wellhead. There is none!!!!!!

Regards
Roger

um could you quote where any thing of the sort was said? I actually said the opposite... Slow down killer

done.

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 03:15 PM
entered in error

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 03:17 PM

Regards
Roger

fixed

lougotzz
05/03/2010, 03:17 PM
You can't like, ownnnn a potato man, it's one of mother earths creatures!

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 03:19 PM
^^^ lol!!

evokevin
05/03/2010, 03:19 PM
fixed

i think you missed the part where he said "it does not harm anything."

i bolded it and underlined it for you.

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 03:20 PM
^^ you missed the part where he was refering to what is released every year.. not at once...

RVANANO
05/03/2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think anyone here was said it wasn't going to kill wildlife or that it wasn't a big deal.

hoffy02
05/03/2010, 03:22 PM

Regards
Roger

Here.. you like bolding and underlining better... re-read it..

MattAndKim
05/03/2010, 03:56 PM
Do you have a reference for the annual seepage of oil into the gulf? I googled but all I found was a statement from Rush Limbaugh.

smsreefer
05/03/2010, 04:06 PM
I have lived on the Gulf for over half my lifetime.
There has never been an oil spill of this magnitude here and we have never had 20 turtles wash up overnight until now either.
You really trust everything you hear on the news ? That is your best source for misinformation.
David

Regards
RETARD

hdean
05/03/2010, 04:19 PM
the whole situation is terrible for every living creature human and non human. i feel so bad for the animals who lost their lives due to something that means nothing to them

saltydude
05/03/2010, 08:16 PM

I agree, I believe everything I hear on the news as well. People act like the news is sometimes wrong. not in my book.
And the reality is that everyone including everyone posting here will forget the death of the oilrig workers. Does anyone know their names? Keep it real and stop "acting" like you are absolutely horrified and overwhelmed with grief about them. It is sad yes, but we experience death all the time and we deal with it. try dealing with the oil spill and its ramifications... not so easy, youll see. Keep it real!

redfishsc
05/03/2010, 08:45 PM
to those who showed no respect to the fellow who brought up the point of the 11 lives lost, and they said 'I'm more concerned with the wildlife".
Do it then.
Get off your sorry backside and go help the wildlife.
I'm utterly disgusted at the ignorance displayed for your fellow man.
That also goes both ways and I completely understand what the other guy said about 'you guys do more damage than disasters' to the reefs etc.
Because yes, the 'wildlife' is taken, from their habitat, into our glass cages.
And if a poll was taken about everyone who has ever had any fish/corals etc, I bet it would be a drastic number of wildlife WE kill every year for our "hobby".
Think about those things before you scourn someone showing sympathy for the recently departed.
Your insensitivity displays perfectly the same kind of mentality behind the behavior that creates these types of scenarios when related to 'human error' because of laziness or neglect.

I couldn't agree more. I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't. :sad1:

I've never seen so many ignorant, insensitive, and stubborn people until I got into aquariums, and they shine through all the time, it's disgusting.

Eh, reefkeepers are somewhat noobs at the whole attitude-problem thing. Get onto a professional carpentry/woodworking forum and ask something like "what's the best finish I can put on a kitchen table" and watch the onslaught of people attacking each other, mostly out of superstitious "knowledge" and scare tactics regarding the 'dangers' of solvent based finishes. It's actually kinda funny to watch.

jchase1970
05/04/2010, 12:59 AM
loss of any life is unfortunate, but the workers knew the risks they took. how many coal miners died last month? some jobs are just more dangerous then others. My heart goes out to the families for their loss.

the impact on the environment will be worse on the coastline animals habit the surface area more then the underwater ocean animals. animals that come up for air like turtles and snakes or animals that feed on fish like birds are going to have the biggest impact.

if it gets into the wetlands then I'm sure clean up will be very hard and i'm not sure what animals will be most affected then. but it could suffocate a lot of plant life that could have all kinds of effects even coastal erosion and loss of runoff filtration which could then leak alot more chemicals like fertilizers in to the ocean which could then have a impact on the fish under the surface later on.

So this could be a serious threat that might not even reach full potential until a year or more down the road.

hoffy02
05/04/2010, 05:27 AM
^^^ No kidding!! If the wind keeps changing this could go on for a long time.. But that would actually help the clean up I guess. I would guess its easier to get it off the water than the beach..

awolusa
05/04/2010, 06:29 AM
Do you have a reference for the annual seepage of oil into the gulf? I googled but all I found was a statement from Rush Limbaugh.

Yes: http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/reports/reprints/Kvenvolden_GML_23.pdf

Also, I know the names of the dead. Everybody who works on the rigs does not expect to die. They go to work expecting to come home to their families just like you.

There has not been another incident like the Horizon, that I remember, in all the years I have worked in the business and that is over 40 years. With all the safety devices on the rigs, things like this should not happen. Someone mentioned why they just had one valve to contain the well, there were at least seven different devices which should have prevented this from happening.

Of course anything mechanical can fail, just ask a bunch of Toyota drivers.

hoffy02
05/04/2010, 07:05 AM
Here is an excerpt if you dont feel like clicking the link...

"Abstract Recent global estimates of crude-oil seepage
rates suggest that about 47% of crude oil currently
entering the marine environment is from natural seeps,
whereas 53% results from leaks and spills during the
extraction, transportation, refining, storage, and utilization
of petroleum. The amount of natural crude-oil
seepage is currently estimated to be 600,000 metric tons
per year, with a range of uncertainty of 200,000 to
2,000,000 metric tons per year. Thus, natural oil seeps
may be the single most important source of oil that
enters the ocean, exceeding each of the various sources
of crude oil that enters the ocean through its exploitation
by humankind."

jchase1970
05/04/2010, 07:07 AM
Heard this morning that the chemical they are using to disperse the oil with they are not only spying on top of the water they are also injecting under the water at the leak. That can't be good for the fish and corals. I don't know what it is but it breaks down oil so that sounds like some kind of degreaser and they didn't elaborate on what it creates by doing that.

anbosu
05/04/2010, 07:41 AM
Yes: http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/reports/reprints/Kvenvolden_GML_23.pdf

Also, I know the names of the dead. Everybody who works on the rigs does not expect to die. They go to work expecting to come home to their families just like you.

There has not been another incident like the Horizon, that I remember, in all the years I have worked in the business and that is over 40 years. With all the safety devices on the rigs, things like this should not happen. Someone mentioned why they just had one valve to contain the well, there were at least seven different devices which should have prevented this from happening.

Of course anything mechanical can fail, just ask a bunch of Toyota drivers.

Sure, but those jobs pay a lot because of the inherent physical danger. At least those guys weren't risking and shortening their lives for hardly any money like the coal miners. Losing 11 lives is of course a terrible tragedy, but wrecking most of the gulf coast would be a far greater tragedy long term.

Uncle Salty 05
05/04/2010, 07:50 AM
There has never been a spill of this magnitude in history. The long term effects can only be speculated but I think more damage will be done to man than the sea. 11 people have already died and thousands, possibly hundreds of thousand could lose their livelihoods. This spill has the potential the cover both the gulf and Atlantic coasts. Our already fragile economy is going to take it on the chin. Everyone in this country and on Earth in general will be effected. The sea on the other hand will get through this, maybe not in the short term but long term the sea will recover. Oil is after all plankton, old rotten plankton. By long term I mean hundreds maybe thousands of years but on Earth's clock that is only a tic.
The sea will survive, man on the other hand has really messed things up.

Kungpaoshizi
05/04/2010, 08:11 AM
Eh, reefkeepers are somewhat noobs at the whole attitude-problem thing. Get onto a professional carpentry/woodworking forum and ask something like "what's the best finish I can put on a kitchen table" and watch the onslaught of people attacking each other, mostly out of superstitious "knowledge" and scare tactics regarding the 'dangers' of solvent based finishes. It's actually kinda funny to watch.

LOL that might be a fun idea when I'm bored... heh

Kungpaoshizi
05/04/2010, 08:28 AM
haha
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/finishing.pl?read=653065

mdb_talon
05/04/2010, 08:35 AM
Sure, but those jobs pay a lot because of the inherent physical danger. At least those guys weren't risking and shortening their lives for hardly any money like the coal miners. Losing 11 lives is of course a terrible tragedy, but wrecking most of the gulf coast would be a far greater tragedy long term.

Wow some of you people are sick. Just because a job is "dangerous" does not make the deaths of human beings any less of a tragedy. To those 11 people and their tragedy the loss is forever. Other than those families my sympathies go mostly to the families whose livelihoods may be impacted by the spill (fishermen, etc). Somewhere way down on the list a dead turtle will also show up in my sympathy.

The oil companies have a remarkable record in the gulf of safety and responsible use of the environment, but unfortunately problems can and will happen. That is the price we pay for living in an advanced society. Anyone who truly thinks it is not worth it can just shut off the PC, halide lights, air conditioners, and any other energy using device they have now and feel smug in the fact they are not contributing. For the rest of us hopefully we can continue to push for increased use of cleaner technologies (which has been happening at a fantastic rate as it is, but people have to be realistic this will take several decades you cant convert a world economy built on the back of hydrocarbons overnight or even a couple decades)

dc
05/04/2010, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure why people can not act like adults in situations like this. Please do not start another thread on this subject.