PDA

View Full Version : Soooo frustrated!!!!

oceans12
05/02/2010, 03:37 PM
I have a Blue Hippo Tang I purchased last November. Quarantine but not treated with anything. Got Ich as well as some Anthias. Removed all fish from display 135 gal (Long) Lost several fish, all the anthias died, and a few jumped out of quarantine (Through a 2" gap in cover!) Only fish left are Blue Hippo Tang, Mystery Wrasse, and a Purple Firefish. I had 2 Quarantine tanks, one I was using SeaChem Cupramine of which the Hippo and Anthias were in, and the other I used SeaChem Paraguard which the Mystery Wrasse, and Purple Firefish was in. (Firefish showed signs of fin rot or getting picked on) I was concerned of putting them in cupramine.
I had DT Fallow for 13 weeks, the fish were in quarantine the whole time and 3 weeks of meds. The ones that survived had absolutely no signs of sickness or ich after this whole process. Now after approx 4 weeks back in display, Today I noticed about 4 spots of what appears to be ich on the Hippo again:mad2::mad2:
I can not see how this is Possible. The hippo has not been swimming around the tank, is staying on one side where his nori is clipped (Defending his turf I guess) Does not appear to be stressed, Eating very well and fat, What to Do? I just got some new fish that have been in Quarantine for a week and a half with cupramine, Purple Tang, 4 Bartletts Anthias, Yellow Watchman, Ember Blenny, TR Pseudo Fridmani, and TR Bangaii Cardinal.
Should I Remove the Hippo. I dont know how I failed I was very careful not to introduce anything (cross contaminate) Is it possible the two fish that were in Paraguard had ich this whole time?, no signs of it. OR CAN IT BE that Ich Larvae, or eggs can stay dormant in substrate for longer periods of time?

reefWW96
05/02/2010, 06:09 PM
I found out a very cool and easy way to beat ich. As long as you keep tangs (and other fish) in ideal conditions (nori every other day, live rock to graze on, keep temp around 77, lower salinity to .022 and stable conditions.) With these parameters tangs can fght off ich on their own. With other fish, proper diet and conditions will boost their immune system. Well, good luck hope thos helps

oceans12
05/02/2010, 06:45 PM
I found out a very cool and easy way to beat ich. As long as you keep tangs (and other fish) in ideal conditions (nori every other day, live rock to graze on, keep temp around 77, lower salinity to .022 and stable conditions.) With these parameters tangs can fght off ich on their own. With other fish, proper diet and conditions will boost their immune system. Well, good luck hope thos helps

That would sure be nice, I'm at 77.5-78 deg and .025 (Hanna lab meter)Should not the purple tang (haven't added him yet) be kept around .025 (Red Sea) Dori Gets Nori about every other day, and gracelaria in between. Spectrum Thera + A every Day with Mysis PE once in a while. My Wife says to get rid of Dori, that will surely break my Grandkids hearts! Have a few LPS Acan, Hammer, Torch, Candy Canes, Goni, and 2 clams. Hope for another acan and some SPS. My acan is not doing so hot either. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

glaukos
05/03/2010, 11:36 AM
so you left the DT fishless for 13 weeks and QTned the fish
for more than a month and you still got ick after all that?

dude this makes my qt effort looking in vain

oceans12
05/03/2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, and I was extremely careful. The only thing I can think of is the Paraguard did not completely rid of any ich or possibly flukes. I am leaning toward possibly flukes. No more spots appeared today, but she was shaking her head today. I went to LFS and got some Prazipro. Hope this works. I Dread the thought of having to tear this tank down again. Did it twice, had a overflow fitting crack right after fallow period, while I was installing a peri pump in the stand, slipped with cordless driver and arm went into plumbing. (Stupid is as Stupid Does!)

Chris27
05/04/2010, 07:40 AM
My guess would be that the parasite made it's way though on fish that weren't QT'd with copper....Paraguard seems like a good product, but unless you dosed everyday for a month, there is no telling that the parasite was killed.

glaukos
05/04/2010, 12:48 PM
that sucks oceans
i hope you get away with it and keep your tank the way it is

i think paraguard isn't effective like copper as far as ick is concerned

oceans12
05/04/2010, 08:46 PM
My guess would be that the parasite made it's way though on fish that weren't QT'd with copper....Paraguard seems like a good product, but unless you dosed everyday for a month, there is no telling that the parasite was killed.

That has crossed my mind as well, There were maybe 2 days I had missed the treatment, but not in a row. I was hoping that I would have still killed any parasites still in their life cycle, Condition on the Tang is about the same, not bad just a few specs, I started Prazi this evening, wanted to do a few water changes to get the water as clean as I could since I will be shutting down Skimmer, and UV.

oceans12
05/04/2010, 08:54 PM
that sucks oceans
i hope you get away with it and keep your tank the way it is

i think paraguard isn't effective like copper as far as ick is concerned

I would agree but I have not alot of education or experience with the product. There were other concerns besides ick on these other fish and that is why I felt Paraguard would be the best choice for other problems since I only had 2 quarantine setups.

glaukos
05/05/2010, 05:12 AM
one way or another i wish you luck and i hope the situation stays as it is
and not get worse