PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Percula Clownfish?

elliebel93
05/03/2010, 11:41 AM
I have a 46 gallon saltwater tank - not a reef tank. I have three percula clowns, a goby, a bicolor angel and 2 emerald crabs. The other day i noticed that the largest of the three clowns was bulging quite a bit in the abdominal area, evenly on both sides. I called my fishstore and they seemed to think she was pregnant. However I have no anemones or any coral in my tank -- will she still be able to lay the eggs? Is there any chance for these little guys survival?
Thanks so much!

Sugar Magnolia
05/03/2010, 11:46 AM
The chances of survival are slim to none unless you hve a separate tank to move the fry into once they hatch and have the proper food ready to feed them.

footballdude2k3
05/03/2010, 11:48 AM
closer to none without a proper setup to raise them, also the first batch is usually dead no matter what you do.

returnofsid
05/03/2010, 12:24 PM
If your LFS told you that your Clown fish was "pregnant," I'd suggest a different LFS, since Clown fish, along with the majority of other fish, don't get "pregnant." Only livebearer fish actually get pregnant.

Your clown fish may be "egg laden," and ready to lay eggs. I have a pair of clown fish that lay eggs on a very regular basis, as do a whole lot of hobbyists. Unfortunately, the eggs usually don't survive. Once the eggs hatch, the babies aren't a fish yet. They hatch as a planktonic life form, that goes through a metamorphis, several days later. because of this, they usually get sucked up by our filtration systems or eaten by corals, other fish, etc. To get them to survive, a specialized environment needs to be created.

elliebel93
05/03/2010, 03:06 PM
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I am disappointed to hear they more then likely won't survive but i can't say i am surprised. That is fascinating about the metamorphosis thing...they don't exactly cover thats in Finding Nemo ;-)
Do you know if the female would hide her eggs when she lays them?
Thank you all again for you help!

footballdude2k3
05/03/2010, 03:16 PM
if you want to raise them you will likely need a new tank to put the eggs in before they hatch, fill that with phytoplankton and rotifers. the water has to be realllly green, very low light/flow, go from there.