PDA

View Full Version : Velvet treatment?

sufunk
05/03/2010, 05:33 PM
Ok, so velvet pretty much wiped out my display tank the other day. The only fish that lived were my false perc, mandarin goby and Golden Dwarf moray eel. I'm trying to decide if i am going to keep my display or sell it so i need to know the exact procedure for ridding my display of velvet before i decide.

I believe that i need to have the display without fish for 8-12 weeks correct? Even though they were not affected, do the perc, mandarin and moray need to be removed for that period?

Also, if i do it, do the perc, mandarin and moray need to be treated with copper after i take them out of the display?

Lastly, if the mandarin goby needs to go into qt for that long and be treated with copper, any ideas on how i can feed him in qt? He only eats pods and i believe that the copper treatment will kill any pods that would be in the qt wont it? How can i keep the mandarin eating during this period???

Thanks in advance

sufunk
05/04/2010, 02:51 PM
bump.....

Anyone???

shawna1972
05/04/2010, 09:10 PM
Ok, so velvet pretty much wiped out my display tank the other day. The only fish that lived were my false perc, mandarin goby and Golden Dwarf moray eel. I'm trying to decide if i am going to keep my display or sell it so i need to know the exact procedure for ridding my display of velvet before i decide.

I believe that i need to have the display without fish for 8-12 weeks correct? Even though they were not affected, do the perc, mandarin and moray need to be removed for that period?

Also, if i do it, do the perc, mandarin and moray need to be treated with copper after i take them out of the display?

Lastly, if the mandarin goby needs to go into qt for that long and be treated with copper, any ideas on how i can feed him in qt? He only eats pods and i believe that the copper treatment will kill any pods that would be in the qt wont it? How can i keep the mandarin eating during this period???

Thanks in advance

Call me with any questions :) I dont have time to answer your questions online but feel free to call 585-689-3982

shawna1972
05/04/2010, 09:16 PM
Call me with any questions :) I dont have time to answer your questions online but feel free to call 585-689-3982

Quick note: eels and manderins are sensitive to copper compounds! And Yes the copper will kill any pods in the Qt.You need a Qt with no live rock and Pvc for hiding. Hope others will help out as I do not know much about eels or manderins when it comes to disease /parasites or proper treatment for them. :(

Jacob D
05/04/2010, 10:04 PM
Chloroquine phosphate is a good alternative to copper. I have used it in QT and still had pods crawling around but your mileage may vary. Information online is inconsistent regarding what it kills and what it doesn't.