PDA

View Full Version : need emergency help with reef tank

sonofafish
05/03/2010, 07:15 PM
help, i just "obtained"/rescued a reef tank. it was at a preschool that is closing. it wasn't being taken care of so I "rescued" it, i think. I had to take 3/4 of the water out to move it, and with no salt water experience, i don,t know what to do. obviously the water is to low for the pump to reach. there is one little blue fish and two crabs, and i really don,t want to kill them. please help!!

~reefchik~
05/03/2010, 07:22 PM
Wow, you have heart!

So you have your work cut out for you now. Do you know anything about aquariums in general, even freshwater?

You will need a shopping trip to a pet store unless you have equipment at your house already. First thing you should get an airpump going for those fish. Everything else can wait a bit. Without filtration the water will get depleted very quickly of oxygen.

Then you need artificial salt mix and a good freshwater dechlorinator such as Prime. Then get yourself a supply of good clean, dechlorinated water. Mix them according to package directions and aerate overnight if possible before adding to the tank.

I'm sure you'll get lots of info in this thread but that will get you started!

cyberpunk
05/03/2010, 07:22 PM
what type of filtration does it have? If it's small, it probably hangs over the back.

I would think you would need to get the water level up with ro/di water and keep checking salinity and other chemical levels. The crabs will probably be fine for a bit, but don't know about the fish.

I'm just starting myself so I could be way off, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

sonofafish
05/03/2010, 07:34 PM
I have had a few fresh water small tabletops, but it was a long time ago. so I pretty much know nothing. it is a 20 gallon and it does have the type that hangs over the back. all i have is a small bag of salt and tap water at 9pm at night. is there anything i can do at this hour?

bsharding1982
05/03/2010, 07:42 PM
Don't use the tap water, unless you have water conditioner and even at that freshly mixed saltwater is bad for fish. Its a good idea to mix it and then let it sit (with some kind of water circulation is best to let it aerate) over night.

Doubt you can, but as a beginner you would be best to buy premixed water at a petstore. At this time probably not a possibility. If you have a water pump, maybe even run to walmart and get something small. The most important thing is to keep the water circulating until you can get it filled enough for the filter to work.

75gsalt
05/03/2010, 07:43 PM
Did you dispose of the saltwater you took out? How many 1/2 cups can you fill with the salt you have? Do you have a walmart close by if so get a jug of the Culligan water the five gallon jug. Add 1/2 cup per gallon of water, that will get you close. Get as much water in the tank as possible. While you are at Walmart invest in a air pump and air line in the pet department air line to aerate the water you can get by tonight , then get to a pet shop tomorrow. Good Luck and ask questions.

rayn
05/03/2010, 07:44 PM
If at all possible go get some distilled water. Even at 99 cents a gallon your only out $20. Mix the salt as best you can and hopefully the filter will help you out too. Then read up here, lot of smart fellers willing to help you out.

VacavilleFC3S
05/03/2010, 07:56 PM
no not really, you need to mix the salt atleast a few hours in advance, most wait about 24hours.

to be honest your way over your head.

without a refractometer/hydrometer you can't properly mix the salt anyway

sonofafish
05/05/2010, 08:26 AM
:dance:OK, thanks for all the help!! got my saltwater mixed, added some live sand, put the live rock back in, (which luckily I had in a trash bag with water, so they were still wet). filled tank & starter filter. The damsel & the crabs are doing fine & apparently there was a turbo snail on the rock. The dust has almost settled & hopefully all will return to normal with no casualties. I think I've learned more in the last 36 hours than all the biology classes I had in high school.

sonofafish
05/05/2010, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=sonofafish;17056708]:dance:

Chris27
05/05/2010, 09:06 AM
I think I've learned more in the last 36 hours than all the biology classes I had in high school.

You got that strait - if only my Chem Prof. in college could see me now - I'm still convinced that he passed me just so he didn't ever have to have me in his class again!

sonofafish
05/05/2010, 10:29 AM
Here is a little progress.....

cr500_af
05/05/2010, 10:53 AM
Hope everything does OK... good job on rescuing the tank and inhabitants.