PDA

View Full Version : Lights!!!!!!???

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 07:43 PM
hey guys i got a odd sized 53 gallon tank... its 36 W x 18D. (water is only 15D)

was thinking about this light on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180493377399&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1701wt_894

is that enough light for a SPS, LPS?

or can you recommend another 36 inch pendent in the under 500$ mark?

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 08:11 PM
TTT

is that enough or not enough??

gonpostal
05/03/2010, 08:14 PM
Are you married to the idea of MH? You can get a 4 or 6 bulb ATI Sunpower T5 fixture for under $500. If your tank is only 15" tall, 4 bulbs should be enough for LPS and SPS IMO. http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/SunPower_Fixtures/

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 08:16 PM
no not married but i wouldn't mind the combo of T5s and MH... is there a depth to wattage chart? or something

gonpostal
05/03/2010, 08:23 PM
Not sure about that, but I've read threads here about people having them on 75 gallon tanks with good results. I have a 4 bulb on my 90 gallon, and all my LPS are doing well. I put a couple of SPS (monti cap, and digi) near the top of the tank several weeks ago, and they're doing great so far. My tank is much taller than yours.

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 08:27 PM
so you think that 150w MH T5 combo would have no issues reaching the bottom then? or should i be looking at 250w MH? im not totaly set on going all T5..
what wattage are your t5s?

gonpostal
05/03/2010, 08:31 PM
My fixture is 216 watts total. To be honest, I've never used MH. T5s run cooler, the bulbs last longer, and there are lots of bulb combinations you can use to get the color you want.

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 08:33 PM
i read that t5 dont actuality run cooler....? thats why i figured i just run a combo of both!

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 08:38 PM
quote from the rookie section!

A big myth is that MH lights are much hotter than fluorescents. That is really not so. A bank of 500 watts in fluorescents puts out around the same heat as 500 watts of metal halides. The fluorescent tubes spread that heat over the entire length of the tube. A MH light concentrates the heat in a small area. This aids in the belief that they create more heat. The light output is also overstated for a MH. Many say that they produce much more light than a fluorescent (s) of the same wattage. This is just the same as the heat. The fluorescent spreads the light out while the MH emits it in a small area. Sure it looks much brighter but if you add up the total illumination for the fluorescent there is not that much difference.

gonpostal
05/03/2010, 08:45 PM
Well, I would think 150w of MH would be enough for a 15" tall tank. Does your tank have a center brace? That fixture looks like it has one bulb in the center.
With MH, the light is going to be concentrated in certain areas of the tank. With T5s, the light is spread evenly throughout the tank. If you wind up getting 2x150w MH, that's 300w. Plus whatever supplemental T5s you have. If you get a 4 bulb T5 fixture, it's only gonna use 156w, and it'll be at least as effective as the MH.

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 08:50 PM
Well, I would think 150w of MH would be enough for a 15" tall tank. Does your tank have a center brace? That fixture looks like it has one bulb in the center.
With MH, the light is going to be concentrated in certain areas of the tank. With T5s, the light is spread evenly throughout the tank. If you wind up getting 2x150w MH, that's 300w. Plus whatever supplemental T5s you have. If you get a 4 bulb T5 fixture, it's only gonna be 156w.

no i dont have a center brace,im really not sure how much wattage i really need... do you think you have enough light? or you think you could use more?

gonpostal
05/03/2010, 08:59 PM
If I was going to keep mostly SPS, I could probably use more. But remember, my tank is 24" tall. If your tank is only 15" tall, the 4 bulb Sunpower would be plenty IMO, especially with good bulbs. Those prices for the Sunpowers don't include bulbs. The bulbs are around $20 or so each, so you would still be under $500.

grigsy
05/03/2010, 09:04 PM
Gonpostal - YOU are "married" to T5s.

You say "To be honest, I've never used MH."

I have used both. My preference is halides.

I would not though suggest the light in that Ebay link. It appears to be Aqua Traders. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

Reefrookee - I have used halides, VHO, T5 and compact fluorescents. I really like the look the tank gets with halides, I like the shimmer effect I get from halides, I love the look Radium 20K gives a tank, I love the growth I get.

Halides are a great choice for reef tanks - especially if you want to do soft and hard corals.

IMO, the best choice for lighting is MH + VHO.

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 09:09 PM
Gonpostal - YOU are "married" to T5s.

You say "To be honest, I've never used MH."

I have used both. My preference is halides.

I would not though suggest the light in that Ebay link. It appears to be Aqua Traders. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

Reefrookee - I have used halides, VHO, T5 and compact fluorescents. I really like the look the tank gets with halides, I like the shimmer effect I get from halides, I love the look Radium 20K gives a tank, I love the growth I get.

Halides are a great choice for reef tanks - especially if you want to do soft and hard corals.

i love the light shimmer MH gives off! VHO is one up or down from T5?

thats what im looking for is a decent pendent with im thinking a 150w MH? and t5 or VHO? and suggestions?

gonpostal
05/03/2010, 09:15 PM
Uh...REEFROOKEE was asking for opinions, and I gave him mine. Like I said, I've never used MH. I'm speaking from MY experience with T5s. That's why I asked if he was married to the idea of MH.

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 09:38 PM
and i appreciate them! and want many many more! theres to much to choise from out there!

Johnny C
05/03/2010, 09:44 PM
I respect your opinion, but there isn't really a 'best' way to light an aquarium... it's personal preference.

ReefrRookie- I think that your tank is the perfect candidate for a nice T5 fixture. I've been running them on my 36x18x21'' SPS-Dominated aquarium for over six months and I wouldn't have it any other way. You can pick up this (http://http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Elite_Fixtures/36_inch__6x39W_Tek_Light_Elite_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_(Graphite)_by_Sunlight_Supply) fixture with bulbs for under $500 shipped to your door. Being that your aquarium is only 15'' deep, it will allow you to house anything you'd like with ease. JMO, hope this helps!

PS- Speaking from personal experience, stay away from the eBay/Craigslist 'deals'. Lighting is without a doubt one of the most important aspects of a Reef Tank. Buy once, buy right. :thumbsup:

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 09:51 PM
yea thats deffenetly a nice set up! is there none in the price that have MH and T5 :hmm2: i still prefer the MH light shimmer other wize i would for sure do all T5

REEFROOKEE
05/03/2010, 09:53 PM
opinions on this?? is that to much?

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_HID_Metal_Halide_fixtures_with_T5_HO_and_Lunar_LEDs_HID_Metal_Halide_Fixtures_for_Saltwa ter_Aquariums-AquaticLife-AK01055-FILTFIMHTSHI-vi.html

this one is sweet to with the aimable lights? comes with 10k bulbs..
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21459

gonpostal
05/04/2010, 10:58 AM
Have you seen this fixture? http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=588
From what I've read, this is a good brand and they have great reflectors (no personal experience). It's just slightly over your budget, but it looks like you can get free shipping.

EDIT: Just noticed it says "ballast sold separately" on the bottom. Looks like it'll be well over budget. Sorry :(

REEFROOKEE
05/05/2010, 12:15 AM
Have you seen this fixture? http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=588
From what I've read, this is a good brand and they have great reflectors (no personal experience). It's just slightly over your budget, but it looks like you can get free shipping.

EDIT: Just noticed it says "ballast sold separately" on the bottom. Looks like it'll be well over budget. Sorry :(

ya i noticed that to! that one expensive light!!!