PDA

View Full Version : Applying bottom eurobrace to DIY rimless cube

impur
05/04/2010, 12:26 PM
I've got all the materials and supplies to build my rimless cube. I'm wondering if i should silicone the bottom eurobrace on first, let it dry a few days, then go to work on the sides? Or should I apply the eurobrace at the same time as I do the sides?

I'd like to apply the bottom eurobrace one evening this week, then move onto the sides this weekend if possible.

My only worry about applying the eurobrace first and letting it dry is getting silicone on outer edges of the glass, as well as it moving slightly. I could tape the edges of the glass off, so any silicone that gets pushed out won't contact the edges. I could also make sure not to apply the silicone that close to the outer edges to avoid any of it pushing out. I could clamp some 2x4s or something around the edges to act as a wall as well, which i hope would eliminate the eurobrace possibly moving slightly.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated!

HighlandReef
05/04/2010, 02:09 PM
I think it's in your best interest to do research on diy glass tank build
Everything I have read says to do it all at once
Once the silicon dries it won't bond well later to new silicon being added
IMO. Your asking for problems doing it in stages like that, I would so all the glass panes all at once

impur
05/04/2010, 05:30 PM
Yah i've been researching this tank for over a year.

But have yet to come across something that answers this question.

I've come across all sorts of builds that do it part by part. Also lots that do it all at once. But nothing pertaining to the bottom eurobrace.

I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as i prepare for anything that could happen, I can do it either way. I am also practicing on a smaller cube 12x12x12 to get a feel for the RTV108 silicone. I know i won't use up a whole tube of it on the small cube, so i wanted to glue on the bottom eurobrace after i get done with the small cube. That way i waste as little as possible, this RTV108 stuff is spendy!!! I won't risk storing a half used tube of it, then using it on my main build and it not being fresh.

uncleof6
05/04/2010, 06:09 PM
No reason you have to build the tank is one session. A panel at a time will work fine, as with the seams of the tank, you are not really adhering silicone to silicone. And new silicone will adhere to fresh (clean and unused) silicone fairly well, but again it really is not necessary for the seams. For the inner sealing bead, I would recommend do it in one shot, so it is essentially one piece of silicone.

You can do a tank all at once, but the nature of RTV108, will not usually allow the "inexperienced" to complete a tank in one shot, without some strength issues creeping up. The stuff skins over pretty quick, and if it skins before you are done, you ARE done-- and starting over.

Certainly, tape the edges of the glass, silicone the euro in. Pull the tape, cut and squeeze out, clean the edges thoroughly, a couple days later put the back (or front) in. Clamp, let is sit a day or two, do a side or two, repeat the process...... will work just fine. When all the vertical panels are in, a couple of days later, seal the inside, let it sit a couple of weeks, water test.... or build the tank, then install the euro, the order really does not make that much difference. If you are concerned with the euro moving (which can happen) do it last, before you seal the inside of the tank.

Sounds simple, but practice, practice, practice with your small tank. When you can get a bubble free seam with the small tank, practice some more.... you will get used to the process, and the larger tank will go smoothly-- that is the plan anyway. Tape is your friend (blue tape) mask every where you do NOT want silicone, it will make your life less messy.

On Economy: For a 75ish gallon tank, if you use a tube of silicone per panel, you have only used a little too much. Don't be shy, and don't go back and add more-- adding more will create air pockets, and strength issues. You should only be paying around $10 a tube for RTV108. Small price for piece of mind. I am not glib about it, I have budget constraints also. But this is the cost of building tanks.

Practice is going to cost you silicone as well, unfortunate, but true. I love making up "catch" phrases so: If you spend $100 dollars on RTV108 for practice, and $50 for your DT, and the tank lasts 10 -20 years, it was all money well spent.

Good call on wanting to use only fresh silicone on your main build. Make sure also, that your tubes are not expired. They have a shelf life.

Jim

impur
05/05/2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks a ton, again, Jim. You are a wealth of info on this subject.

I'm gonna have to send you some frags just to thank you for all the info i've learned from your posts! :beer: