PDA

View Full Version : Stingray tank?

AGM1
05/04/2010, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I was thinking of getting a new tank, and was considering a 48x48x12T tank. It would have a 40 gallon sump, maybe a 400 watt MH pendant or an 8x54 T5 bank for lighting. I was thinking of a california round stingray, a pair of clowns, a yellow tang, and a royal gramma for fish. Probably a mix of softies, lps, sps coral. Nassarius, Sandsifting stars, and cleaner shrimp for inverts. Would this tank be suitable for what I listed?

Thanks

RVANANO
05/04/2010, 02:25 PM
I think the size would be ok. I have heard 48" width and 24" depth minimum (i.e. 120). Everyone I have talked to has stated you need to have lots of open sand and few rocks. And those rocks should not have sharp abrasive edges. I have not heard of anyone doing a ray in a reef tank but I only started looking into rays for a short time before I decided against it. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Sugar Magnolia
05/04/2010, 02:26 PM
Here's some inspiration for you - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1796583

mscarpena
05/04/2010, 02:33 PM
It can be done IMO, but I would recommend going slightly higher than 12". Also you would have to watch how much rock you put in. One last recommendation I would be careful on what inverts you put in because they may be an expensive snack.

AGM1
05/04/2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the link. Ive seen that species kept in 200 gallon tank before, and it was a full blown reef. No problems in terms of predation for over a year, but it died to do deterioating water quality. Would such a shallow tank still be enjoyable to view? Anybody use prop tanks (which is essentially what id be using) as display tanks?