PDA

View Full Version : Help! Blue Tang lumpy stomach all of a sudden! (pictures)

grom
05/04/2010, 06:10 PM
I came home today and found my (1.5 inch) tiny blue tang's stomach looking lumpy.

This just happened over the past 5 hours, he was perfectly fine in the mourning.

Can this be constipation? I havent really seen him poop in a few days. He's only been in my tank for 3 weeks.

Swimming perfectly fine. Acting like he usually does. Threw in a little food, and he's eating fine. Breathing is a little bit high, but its not fast.

Checked water params
Amm 0
Ni 0
Na trace
ph 8.3
calc 400ppm

Any ideas?

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/grromo/DSC00010.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/grromo/DSC00009.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/grromo/DSC00007.jpg

lougotzz
05/04/2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like an internal infection. That fish has ich also.

Potsy
05/04/2010, 06:18 PM
Could be infection or digestive. If he starts to swim erratically, then it's an infection that has spread to the swim bladder and thus antibiotics in a q-tank are in order.

grom
05/04/2010, 06:19 PM
that one tiny black spec on its tail is ich? I thought ich was white.
If your talking about the white spots on it, those are on the glass. There are a lot of little buggs crawling on the glass and i dont scrape them off. I hear they are benneficial so I leave them be. There are no white dots at all on the fish.
Only that single black dot on his tail, btw, any idea what that is?

Ive heard peas are good for constipation, should I wait, or shop one up and see if he'll eat it. Id doubt it.

Potsy
05/04/2010, 06:33 PM
Just let his gut settle if its constipation. I've seen a lot of tangs with those lumpy guts. If you start to see bloody streaks or open sores then its time for the hospital tank.

grom
05/04/2010, 06:51 PM
There is no hospital tank atm :(
This is soon to be my hospital tank. Its a 28g nano.

His real tank (90g) is still cycling. Only 1 week in and im not taking the chance with putting him in for at least a few more weeks.

Yah yah i know i shoulda waited, but my lfs only had a few of these tiny tank raised ones left. And ive never seen another lfs carry them tank raised, or even this small.

lougotzz
05/04/2010, 06:54 PM
The last two pictures I saw a good amount of white spot, but you say it's the glass so it doesnt have ich then. If it starts in with red "veins" I guess that is the best describing word, then it's def an infection, keep an eye out.

grom
05/04/2010, 08:07 PM
yes there are tons of white specs on the glass. Theyre little bugs that move around, I dont wipe them off cause they dont bother me.

what can I do though if its infection? =/

lougotzz
05/04/2010, 09:00 PM
yes there are tons of white specs on the glass. Theyre little bugs that move around, I dont wipe them off cause they dont bother me.

what can I do though if its infection? =/

Saltwater maracyn 2, follow their instructions.

grom
05/06/2010, 09:31 AM
Ok I let him have 2 days to see if it changed.

It looks like it is changing shape, but has gotten smaller.

Should I start treating him?
Ive never had a sick fish before....I dont really know how to treat it.
Do I need a second tank?
How long does he need to be in it? Would a 3-5gal work ok?

Whats the survival rate?
Everyone agrees to use maracyn 2 for this case?

Also would maracyn plus be ok? No store I know has maracyn 2...

swabe3618
05/06/2010, 10:01 AM
My blue hippo looks like that after eating, all it does is eat and eat and eat. If he is swimming around and active then i wouldnt worry too much about it

lilalove
05/06/2010, 01:01 PM
He just looks like he's very full to me.

dogstar74
05/06/2010, 03:04 PM
Take him for a walk in the park. But be courteous and clean up after him. :D