PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade or not upgrade my tank... your input is requested

Savas
05/05/2010, 10:42 AM
I have maintained two Aquapod 24's for the last 5 years with good success. I love the size of the tanks and all-in-one look. I recently was offered a new Marineland 47 gallon tank (20-3/16"L x 18-3/16"W x 63-5/16"H) and stand for $150. I like the size as it fits the space of my current AP24. I would also like to build the false back panel to meet my needs (power head placement) and allow for my chiller to be better integrated than it is in in the AP24. I would also like to upgrade my light to Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 3 Plus 250W Double Ended HQI Reflector.
So here are my questions: is the height a benefit or a detriment? Assuming I keep the same live rock, corals, and fish, am I gaining anything other than just more gallons? How is my lighting choice - is there anything that is more integrated? Are there other recommendations you would make?
Thank you for your replies. I sincerely appreciate it.

RVANANO
05/05/2010, 11:02 AM
wait..... a 47 gallon that is 63" high??????!!!!!!! That's over 5 ft tall

greech
05/05/2010, 11:43 AM
Wow, 63" tall! That is a very deep tank. I would imagine that it will be difficult to perform maintenance on the lower parts of that tank. I also think making it into an ATO by installing a false wall would be a maintenance issue (just think if you drop something down behind the wall or a fish gets back there). If I was to make a go of that tank I would drill it through the back wall or use a HOB overflow.

You would certainly be able to keep a variety of corals with varying light demands but the upper coarls would eventually shade the lower corals (possibly too much). I could see a how a column type aquascape would be very appealing but personally, I would prefer a more cubish/shallower tank if I were looking into a 47 gallon tank.

Not a lighting expert so I can't really help there.

KafudaFish
05/05/2010, 12:18 PM
I think that maybe an error because that sounds like a 100 gallon tank give or take.

If it is 47 gallons I apologize.

Also not a lighting expert by any means but I don't think a 250 will penetrate enough for anything low in the tank. I would think something like a 1000 watt for that much depth.

Sounds interesting though and would make an interesting reef wall.

Savas
05/05/2010, 12:37 PM
I just checked the specs and even though that is what they say, I believe the tank is only 32 inches deep. I believe that is the total height with the stand.

vitalik4eva
05/05/2010, 12:42 PM
not worth it. I've upgraded from a 54 to 72 before and didn't notice a difference. My take on upgrades: unless you at least triple your volume, it's not time yet. For example, after reefkeeping for 2 years my 54 gallon tank is rather small at this point, next upgrade: 210 reef. Now that's where you notice a difference. In your case, go with at least a 75 Gallon if you want to see the difference. Over time, you will accumulate too many gadgets for your 46 that will be useless with a larger tank that you will regret ever buying it. In this hobby there are only two ways: Go big, or sell everything :)))

RVANANO
05/05/2010, 12:44 PM
I would also agree. I upgraded from a 34 Solana to a 120 and already want to go 250 :)

greech
05/05/2010, 12:49 PM
That makes sense. Lighting shoud not be as big of a concern then but IMO an almost 3' high tank is still going to present some challenges (particularly the AIO part). It would be a cool tank though and not something you see very often.

footballdude2k3
05/05/2010, 01:11 PM
i agree that it would be nice to fit in the same space and it would be different, however, if you are not adding rock then your bioload would technically be the same i think. also if it is that tall i would personally want a wider tank, you can fit more in a wide tank than a tall tank coral wise.

prickles
05/05/2010, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=vitalik4eva;17057974]not worth it. I've upgraded from a 54 to 72 before and didn't notice a difference. [QUOTE]

I fully agree. Don't stress out your critters for such a small upgrade. If you are going to do it, watch craigslist and go bigger. I went from both a 110 and 125 to a 300 and regret not going bigger.