PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage and tank survival questions

fmuakkassa
05/05/2010, 07:38 PM
I have an 180 g reef aquarium with mostly soft corals and 11 fish, a refugium (under the tank) and a return sump. I have a power inverter and a 12v marine battery attached to it for power outages. Only the main circulation pump (900 gph) is attached to the power inverter.I don't have a generator and I am not planning on buying one now.

Last week we had a power outage (I don't know how long it lasted) and when I came home from work the backup battery has been drained and the main circulation pump was off. I took the battery to a friend's house in another neighborhood, charged it and got the tank going till the electricity came back.

My questions are:

Can I buy another battery and hook the pos to pos and neg to neg and hence have double the amount of time on battery backup? (If true I can buy more batteries and hook up).

Should I buy an air pump too and attach it to the power inverter and keep it in the tank when an outage occurs?

The tank is built in a wall and it gets some light from the room so it will not be total darkness. Heating the tank should not be an issue in Summer when we get the outages.

Is the above a sufficient plan? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

fmuakkassa
05/07/2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone?