PDA

View Full Version : Clown fish trouble

jizzy
05/05/2010, 09:11 PM
I have a 24 gallon aquapod and it has been running for about 6 months with 25 lbs of LR and 28 lbs of LR in it. it has misc coral with great cleanup crew one true percula clown one mandarian dragonet goby and a watchman watchman goby. all my tests say my water quality is good with 5 gallon weekly water changes . with one small amount of added calcium and microvert added weekly.
k here is my problem. For the past week i have noticed my true percula clown swimming around happy and full like normal but two days ago i noticed she was breathing a little hard . now she just swims around with her mouth open all the time and around her lips look like it could be getting a little whitish. two weeks ago i bought a baby clown and put in with her ( because my male clown jumped overboard and died ) but she killed it in less then twenty four hours. the baby clowns orange colors on it was kind of whitish to but the guy at the fish store said he would just brighten up with my halides on it. do you think she could have got some kind of something from the baby ? could she have killed him because he was sick ? i thought clowns was cool with the same type of clown.

Thanks in advance for all the help RC !
Jizzy

Toddrtrex
05/05/2010, 10:56 PM
A clown won't brighten up with halides. When you say the new clown was sort of whitish, do you mean like it had a white film on it? It very well could have been sick, and the stress of your existing clown chasing it pushed it over the edge. I have a feeling that your existing clown pick up whatever the new clown had.

Do you have a QT? Most likely you are going to have to treat your clown.

Tuscaquatics
05/06/2010, 12:13 AM
Slow down with the clowns. Mixing clowns and trying to pair them is a slightly advanced endeavor. A seemingly peaceful clown will become murderous when you add another.

Keep an eye on her and don't add anything else for now. You might want to QT her if it's possible. I can't say what specifically could be wrong with her without seeing it.

Also, do you have a refugium or somewhere for pods to grow? If not, how are you feeding your mandarin? That guy will eat every pod in there and starve quickly if you're not prepared for him. Some would argue that you can't keep one at all in that size tank.

jizzy
05/06/2010, 05:53 AM
yes i have a 10 gallon tank i can set up for a QT tank. i still have my last weeks water change and some new saltwater mixed up. u think i need to give her any type of vitamins while in the QT ?
I don't have a fug on my aquapod but i do have alot of pods in the tank. ive had the dragonet in there for two months and he if fat and happy. i finally got him to eat live brine shrimp and frozen brine shrimp. he may be showing a little bit of intreset in shimp pellets.
Can anybody tell me what i need to put in QT tank ? LS ? LR ? i have extra of both.