PDA

View Full Version : Help with injured choc. chip star

trb
05/06/2010, 06:52 AM
To make a long story short, my skimmer pump went out, and I put in a temporary replacement pump. Well, our chocolate chip star got caught on the pump intake. :( Now he has a wound about the size of a nickle, with his internal flesh kind of pulled out. I put him in the main section of the sump, and our clarkii started eating on the wound, so I moved him to another section.

Anything I should do to help him heal? He seems fine, moving around and everything, so I hope he will heal up.

Thanks.

jeepguy242
05/06/2010, 07:48 AM
i think he will heal up on his own, i watched a show called the blue planet on the discovery chanel and it showed a lobster ripping a whole arm off a starfish, and they were saying how its like a defense mechanism, the arm will grow back

trb
05/06/2010, 11:00 AM
Yes, that was what I was thinking about, I know they can grow arms back. I just wondered if anyone had "dressed" any wounds or cleaned the dead flesh off before. If it was an ordinary choc chip, I would not worry since they are plentiful, but this one is pretty big (5") and is orange instead of brown. I've only seen one other orange chocolate chip star before, and he was not as brilliant of an orange color. My son is rather attached to all of his University of Texas orange colored fish, inverts & corals! LOL!