PDA

View Full Version : Circulation for a 40 breeder suggestions (return and powerheads)

anen
05/06/2010, 10:17 AM
I know these kinds of questions get asked a lot, but since I already have some equipment, and since I'm asking about a specific size tank I hope nobody gets upset. I'm going to be starting up a 40 breeder and am looking for circulation suggestions.

Currently I have the following:
Eheim 1262
Koralia 4
Koralia 1
(2) Maxijet 1200s

I feel like the Eheim return pump will be overkill for this tank, and am thinking of getting something smaller. Yay or nay?

I am planning on using a maxijet for a BRS reactor, and two of the other powerheads for circulation in my RODI and mixed SW holding tubs.

That will probably leave me with 1 koralia or maxijet.

On a mixed tank, what do you guys suggest for in the tank circulation? I was mainly thinking Tunze, but am up for anything, including Vortech, and maybe the new Hydors. Important to me is energy consumption and noise. Big pluses for me would be some cool wave action, and controllability with my RKE controller.

E.intheC
05/06/2010, 10:37 AM
I would go with a Vortech or two for circulation. They're great pumps. Very wide, controllable flow.

I agree with you on the 1262.. it's a bit too much for your system. A 1260 would be perfect. Or, you can use a ball valve after the outlet on your 1262 to dial it back a bit. You only want (as a general rule of course) about 5x total system volume running through your sump.

anen
05/06/2010, 10:53 AM
I was looking at the Tunze 1073 I think it is. This might be the lower end of the suggested 3-5x tank volume though.

MeVsTheWorld
05/06/2010, 11:43 AM
I use a Taam Rio 1400 for a return. I also put a T on the return line with a ball valve to divert the extra flow back into the sump. For current I use 1 MP40w witch provides more than enough flow for my 40 breeder. One pump, overflow box and one return line are the only things that are in the tank. You can use the Eheim, just put a T in the return as I did and you will be able to adjust the return flow. If your not using a fuge in your sump then the extra flow will keep detritus from accumulating and building up. Good luck!!

E.intheC
05/06/2010, 12:36 PM
The T is a good idea as well.

sjm817
05/06/2010, 12:44 PM
I have a friend that uses a 1262 as a return for a 180G and it has plenty of flow. In an Eheim, I'd use a 1250. The T going back to the sump as a closed loop just wastes electricity. Get a pump that has the right flow. If you need to throttle it back a little, just use a ball vale to dial it back some.

For flow, a pair of MP10s would be nice,

E.intheC
05/06/2010, 01:25 PM
Scott, side note, but do you think that having a lower flow return pump will help increase skimmate production? I'm curious about this for my own set up. Thanks.

sjm817
05/06/2010, 01:43 PM
I dont really know on that. In theory, maybe. In practice, I doubt it makes all that much difference. There are a lot of variables that contibute to skimming performance. That is just one of them.

anen
05/06/2010, 02:15 PM
As my priorities are energy usage and quietness, I've been looking at the Tunze return pumps. The Eheim 1262 on a test run had a very noticeable hum. Is anyone running the Tunze silence return that can comment on the quietness?

For powerheads, I've heard a lot of mixed things on the quietness of the Vortechs. Seems like hit or miss.

Also, while it seems really cool to me just to look at, how important is the wave making capability of powerheads to corals and fish? Do the fish really enjoy the waves, and will the waves help improve coral growth?

sjm817
05/06/2010, 03:02 PM
I have never tried a Tunze Silence, but generally they seem to get good reviews. The 1262 is huge for that application anyway. If you are looking for silence, I dont think you would be happy with the Vortechs. The motor is external and you will hear it. The Koralia's use very little power. IME, they do have a hum to them, but not too bad. Tunze nano would also be a good choice.

kimber45
05/06/2010, 04:54 PM
although not running yet, i have a 1260 and 2 mp10's for my 50 breeder.

anen
05/06/2010, 05:36 PM
which tunzes and what quantity would be appropriate? 2 6055s?

E.intheC
05/06/2010, 05:41 PM
if you go the Tunze route, I personally think 2x 6055's would be great for the 40 breeder.