PDA

View Full Version : Can you over Skim a tank??

rdlisby
05/06/2010, 12:23 PM
I have a 180 Gallon reef with 160pds of live rock, I have SPS and LPS and some softies. Iím wondering if you can over skim a tank. I recently put a Tunze Hydro foamer on my custom skimmer and the thing is going crazy filling the collection cub every two days with coffee colored junk. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now and I wonder if it is taking to much out?

Any thoughts?

RokleM
05/07/2010, 07:04 AM
There honestly aren't a ton of hard facts out there on this. Most argue that even the best skimmers won't be able to get 100% of the junk we put in, so water changes in addition to skimming is pretty much required (in addition to the other major benefits of water changes).

The short of the matter is, if all your inhabitants look good and you don't have excessive algae growth... you're in the right spot ;)

sabbath
05/07/2010, 07:18 AM
Skimmers only pull out about 30% of doc's.

nanojg
05/07/2010, 07:32 AM
about 30%, is that a wild guess or what?

sabbath
05/07/2010, 01:42 PM
Nope, There is only so much that is removed by making bubbles. There are many experiments to show this. Here is a article that I came across first, just now.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

This why I do more to filter my system then just a large Skimmer. IE, 120g with a Octopus Extreme with a BB3000, Regular Water changes, use Filter socks, GFO and Carbon...

Oh and I have found that you can get a Skimmer too large for your toc level. What happens is that the foam never builds up good in the LARGE neck of the skimmer enough to remove stuff right.

about 30%, is that a wild guess or what?

rishma
05/07/2010, 03:05 PM
sabbath is right.

i dont think you can over skim. It is somewhat self limiting. all other things being equal, A skimmer of a certain neck diameter can only pull out so much waste. As skimmable waste concentration drops below a certain level, there is not enough to stabilize the foam head and the skimmer stops working well.