PDA

View Full Version : Chris's 45G Cube Build...

Perzel
05/06/2010, 12:24 PM
I just can’t break the addiction! I picked up a Marineland/Perfecto 45g cube 24”x24”x18” tank yesterday. Need to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the Monterey style stand. I plan on making this tank a mixed reef (as always SPS will eventually take over). It’s probably going to be bare bottom. I’ve never had good luck with sand beds. The tank will be run sump-less. Most equipment will be hidden behind a custom black acrylic wall/overflow which will probably take up about 4” of the tanks width. I’m going to use BRS "Reef Saver" Dry Aquarium Eco Rock. I’ve always used live rock in the past but would like to try and eliminate the pests from the beginning. I’m curious to hear different opinions on the approach of using “Dry” rock especially in regards to cycling. Here is my equipment list so far. I plan on having the tank running by the end of August.

Automatic Top off - Tunze Osmolator Universal

Protein Skimmer - Deltec HOB MCE600 Turbo

Main In Tank Circulation - Ecotech Vortech MP10 Propeller Pump w/ Wireless EcoSMART Driver – Trying to decide if one will be enough or if I should get two? Also, I’ve always used Tunze Turbelle and Stream pumps in the past and never had any problems with them. How reliable are the Ecotech pumps? I’ve seen allot of mixed reviews.

Heating & Cooling - Teco TR10 SeaChill Chiller/Heater Unit

Return pump - Eheim 1260 Universal Hobby Pump – Used for Chiller/Heater Unit.

Purified Water – BRS 75 GPD RO/DI 6 Stage *DELUXE* System w/ Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump *KIT* (water pressure sucks in Lakeville).

Lighting – Giesemann Infinity 24" Fixture 250W HQI + 4x24W T5 – Trying to decide between the 250W or 150W unit. The tank is only 18” deep so I think 150W would suffice. Also looking at the Sfiligoi Infinity Fixture 250W HQI + 4x24W T5. The halide reflector is larger and would provide more spread, but I don’t think I need it for a 24”x24” tank. Also it’s more expensive then the Giesemann. Also, looking at the Giesemann Spectra. Too many choices. Maybe I’ll go all T5 and use an ATI Powermodule?

Chemical Filtration - Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor with a Maxi-Jet Powerhead 1200 (295gph) or some type of Eheim Canister. If I went with a canister filter I would get some good mechanical filtration as well as use it as a pump for the Chiller/Heater Unit instead of the Eheim 1260 pump. The bad thing about the canister filter is I can’t fluidize the GFO as you can in the BRS Reactor.

Calcium/Alkalinity Supplementation – Two Part, probably dosing manually in the beginning and get a Profilux Dosing unit w/Independent control in the future.

There are about 90 other things to get on my list but they are pretty boring. I’ll try and keep pictures coming as I set things up. It’s great to be back!

Perzel
05/07/2010, 08:43 PM
Here's a couple of pictures. First one is the aftermath from cleaning up all the excess silicone. Took me a couple of hours. I know I need to get a life.
The next one is of the tank all cleaned up and ready to go.
I will be starting to run three dedicated 15amp circuits to the aquarium this week. I will post some pictures of the process later this week.

Perzel
05/07/2010, 08:54 PM
I'm going to order the Deltec MCE600 Protein Skimmer this week. This should give me some general dimensions to work off of to design the black acrylic wall/overflow.