PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water after adding Chemi Pure???

TCKelsey
05/06/2010, 06:51 PM
Well I have a 24 G Nanocube and just got done cycling about 2 weeks ago.. I just added lastnight chemipure elite and a bag af activated carbon. When I got home from work today the water is super cloudy, and now some brown algae is growing... I thought my water would be crystal clear with the chemi pure elite. Any ideas whats happening?? My Nitrites and Nitrates are 0 and my tank was looking perfect yesterday.

PLEASE HELPP

TCKelsey
05/06/2010, 07:07 PM
Ok well before I put the chemi pure elite in yesterday i did what the directions said and rinsed lightly. I noticed some black residue coming off but rinsed it a lil more and put in the tank. I just decided to remove it and see what I could find. I just rinsed the bag in my sink and it made the water so dark brown I couldnt even see in it. Now this just doesnt seem right. I just rinsed it for a good 3 min and it is still turning the water black/brown! I wish i had a picture of how disgusting it looks! Could this be a bad batch of Chemi Pure?? I really dont want to put this back into my tank!

EMUReef
05/06/2010, 07:29 PM
Ok well before I put the chemi pure elite in yesterday i did what the directions said and rinsed lightly. I noticed some black residue coming off but rinsed it a lil more and put in the tank. I just decided to remove it and see what I could find. I just rinsed the bag in my sink and it made the water so dark brown I couldnt even see in it. Now this just doesnt seem right. I just rinsed it for a good 3 min and it is still turning the water black/brown! I wish i had a picture of how disgusting it looks! Could this be a bad batch of Chemi Pure?? I really dont want to put this back into my tank!

what do you mean you removed it to see what you could find?

TCKelsey
05/06/2010, 08:19 PM
I took the Chemi Pure Elite bag out of the media basket and took it to the sink and started rinsing it again. Thats when all the black/brown mess started pouring out of it for a good 3 minutes.

TCKelsey
05/07/2010, 02:10 PM
anybody help? my tank is still cloudy

Uncle Salty 05
05/07/2010, 03:20 PM
You rinsed it in tap water then dropped it in your tank?

DJREEF
05/07/2010, 03:26 PM
Water change now.

DJ

TCKelsey
05/07/2010, 03:58 PM
I just did a 25% water change, and obviously its cleared up a good bit. But it still doesnt make me happy... anybody have any ideas of what went wrong? or should I just bet on a bad batch of chemi pure elite, in which im out 18$ :(

imcosmokramer
05/07/2010, 04:15 PM
If all you're out is $18, than that's the best news you can get.

I have used Chemi Pure/Elite for a while, and have never experienced that. I'd switch it out.

TCKelsey
05/07/2010, 04:23 PM
If all you're out is $18, than that's the best news you can get.

I have used Chemi Pure/Elite for a while, and have never experienced that. I'd switch it out.

When you rinse yours what does it look like?

DJREEF
05/07/2010, 05:19 PM
I've also been using it for about 5 months now. Mine rinses black to clear then I drop it in the sump. No problems.

DJ

TCKelsey
05/08/2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the reply DJ, yea there was def. something wrong with mine... man this morning my tank is STILL cloudy afer a 20% WC yesterday:(

tspors
05/08/2010, 10:31 AM
I do not think you are to run carbon when using Chemi pure. Check that out.

davewbush
05/08/2010, 10:39 AM
Are you using ro/di water in your tank and for water changes. The brown algae sounds like your tank is still cycling. What are your water parameters and what is in the tank, live stock, live rock, sand, ect? I've used chem-pure for over 2 years and have had no problems like this.

Percula9
05/08/2010, 10:53 PM
Chemipure Elite is a combination of carbon and GFO. It may be indeed be bad. Remove it and do some more water changes and put some filter floss in one of your filter compartments to remove the remaining particulates.

TCKelsey
05/09/2010, 10:54 AM
:confused::confused:Chemipure Elite is a combination of carbon and GFO. It may be indeed be bad. Remove it and do some more water changes and put some filter floss in one of your filter compartments to remove the remaining particulates.

Yea this is what im doing...

My water parameters are Nitrates :0 Nitrites:0 and ammonia: 0

everything is perfect. I only have one little blue damsel and a couple hermit crabs. I use RO/DI water for water changes. It has to be the Chemi Pure. I filled my sink will water and put the chemi pure in it and it turned the water completely brown/black within seconds. I drained and repeated this process about 5 times before I just gave up because it kept turning the water brown/black. I just dont know why my water is still looking cloudy :confused:

Drewcipher
05/09/2010, 11:20 AM
I use regular chemi pure and have never had any issues like this. I also would change it out.