PDA

View Full Version : Alk question.

icedgxe
05/07/2010, 02:49 PM
So ever since installing my ca. reactor a little over a year ago I have had problems keeping my alk where I want it. I would like to have it around 9 yet it always wants to creep up to 12. I am running a geo 612 with large arm media and a milwaukee ph controller. I have the controller set to 7.0 and I am running about 1 drip every other second. I am also running a precision marine kalk reactor through my top-off. Right now Ca is around 450 (Api), Alk is at 12 (API and Salifert), Mag is around 1300-1350 (Salifert). I have had issues with montis on and some tip recession on some acros. I did a water change last sun and the alk just slowly raises through the week. What should I do. Raise the ph on the controller? Leave it alone and just try to keep the alk stable at 12? Ditch the reactor and go back to two part? I would like my alk around 9 and I am ready to the the reactor out the window. I never had this issue even dosing two-part manually.

LifeAquatic
05/07/2010, 03:55 PM
You can turn the C02 bubble count down. Lower the effluent drip a little. That will lower the ALK.

reefsahoy
05/07/2010, 06:16 PM
sounds to me like the ca reactor is dripping too fast. if your alk is going up your ca should be going up too. the ca reactor adds ca and alk in a balance ratio. typically if you use a kalk reactor and add ca then your alk should go down simply because you require a slower drip from the ca reactor to maintain ca. see the attachments below.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/component/zine/article/44

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/component/zine/article/44

icedgxe
05/27/2010, 11:55 AM
That what I figured but I don't know anymore. I am about ready to throw things out the window. My red planet started receding as well as a couple of ohter acros and my montis still haven't fully come back around. It seems like things will be better right after a water change and as the week goes on they get worse. I did a water change on tues and Wed A.M.= Alk 8 Ca 420 Wed P.M. Alk 9 Ca 420-430. Thurs A.M. Alk 10 Ca 430-440. I am also thinking about dtiching the kalk reactor for a couple of reasons and wanted to get other peoples opnions. The filtration room is in the garage so the evaporation rate is high and unstable. Some days it high some low, some mornings and night low and during the day high or vice versa. Also my sump is a 75g with no baffles. So in order to cut on the ato, a good amount of water must evaporate before it will top off. This means that the top off runs once or twice a day max and puts in a good amount of water at once. I may watch and wait till it finishes topping off and measure the alk a little while later to see the diff. b/c to my knowledge alk should go down and ca up, not both up. Also My drip on the ca reactor is about one drip every second and a half to two seconds. Ph is set at 7.0 in the reactor. So...a couple of questions. Does anyone think the the kalk reactor may be hurting me with instability instead of helping? Should I ditch it and stick to ca reactor only and compare readings over a few days? Could a high nutrient level maybe be inhibiting growth therfore allowing the alk to creep up over the course of a few days? Slow drip rate more on the reactor or even raise ph more? Thanks for reading this long post and help pleeeeeease.

icedgxe
05/27/2010, 02:22 PM
Well I measured the alk again after the ato stopped and it was still 10. I will measure again after lights out to see what it reads. Also, I measured the alk of the effluent and it was around 15.

Nanook
05/27/2010, 04:10 PM
[moved]

HighlandReefer
05/27/2010, 04:29 PM
You need to turn the calcium reactor off and let your alk level drop from natural consumption until your alk reaches the level you want. Then you need to start the calcium reactor up and reduce the drip rate until the alk output matches your consumption.

If your alk drops, then add baking soda to bring it back up using the calculator to where you want & increae the bubble rate. IF the alk gets to high again, then you need to turn the reactor off again and let the alk drop down again. Takes a little getting use too. :D

icedgxe
05/27/2010, 08:08 PM
That will work but do you think I should take the kalk reactor offline as well and just leave the ca rx to do it's thing by itself?

Percula9
05/28/2010, 12:11 AM
I think you should shut the kalk reactor off. Unless you are having low pH problems then you shouldn't need it. Or shut the calcium reactor instead and run the kalk reactor. See which one maintains your alk and calcium better.

bertoni
05/28/2010, 04:13 AM
I'd just take both off line, and then restart the kalk when the alkalinity hits 9, and see how that goes.