PDA

View Full Version : Just tell me a light....

ahud
05/07/2010, 09:54 PM
I have read so much on lighting, that now I am more confused than when I started. I have been told a million different things and I don't know what to believe.

Help me out please, I am all set after I get the correct lighting.

Specs:
36x18x24 65 gallon.
keeping mainly softies, but want to be able to upgrade some.
Hanging is not an option so it must have feet.

1st timer
05/07/2010, 10:10 PM
I would say T5 would be good for that size with 6 lamp configuration. I have 40 breeder and use 4 lamp T5, I keep zoos, palys, mushrooms, torch and until Thursday a frogspawn that i had for 2+yrs. I also tried a 250 MH with 14k bulb but it gets hot and shuts down so i need to add fan. Aside from depth our sizes are similar. just my opinon, you also have more options as far as getting just the look you want mixing lamps on the T5 route.
if you take a little(lot) of time read grimreefers T5 thread, for lamp ideas

ahud
05/07/2010, 10:40 PM
Well, I already have a 4 bulb t5 ho fixture, but I have been told it wont be enough for softies. Then some people say it will be fine.

iamwrasseman
05/07/2010, 10:51 PM
the light is enough for softies but you will need an 8 bulb unit for sps .

cubsFAN
05/07/2010, 11:02 PM

depending on the fixture, I'm sure there are some sps that you could keep with 4 bulbs. individual reflectors, quality bulbs and active cooling are key. you will have no problem keeping softies with 4 t5 bulbs with individual reflectors. 8 would be overkill on this size tank in any situation imo. bulb replacement alone makes it a waste of money. I would go with a 24 or 36 in ati sunpower with 6 bulbs if you want to keep anything you want. If you want something with legs id go with the new tek elite and pop the extra cash for the legs. If money is tight you could go with the original tek or even the current nova extreme pro.

ahud
05/07/2010, 11:28 PM
Right now I have the Nova extreme 4x39.

So if I replace the bulbs I should be fine?

What bulbs would you guys do?

rtparty
05/08/2010, 12:00 AM

That's funny, I have my 40 breeder filled with SPS and only use a 4 bulb ATI Sunpower. :hmm6: :lolspin:

To the OP,

Like I said in your other thread, 4 bulbs is fine for softies. Just try to keep it a little higher off the tank if you can to get a little better spread.

New bulbs and you are set IMO.

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Johnny C
05/08/2010, 01:53 AM
+1 to rtparty... I am keeping SPS in a 36x18x21'' 57G with six 24w bulbs. :thumbsup:

ahud
05/08/2010, 07:08 AM
ordered the bulbs you suggested, Thanks for all the help man!