PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

carlito75
05/08/2010, 08:29 AM
Hi could some kind person please help me i am a new beginner with marine fish i have just set up a tank ..at the moment i have just live rock and a couple of small coral ie leather glove and green mushroom .2 blue legged hermit crabs and 3 turbo snails......the problem is i bought a new piece of live rock the other day and i keep seeing these legs peeking out of one of the holes but mainly at night ....so i havnt had a really good look at it the best description i can give is as follows...........very pale brown body with fairl longish cream and browny banded legs that seem to be spiny or furry now i know it is deffo a crab but was hoping some one could help me out a little as he is obviously a hitchhiker and dont know what he is exactly or if he is beneficial or harmful to my aquarium.....sorry the description is a bit sketchy but its the best i can do..thanks in advance carl :)

Lurking
05/08/2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome to reef central. This question would be better served by asking it in the "new to the hobby " section. Having said that it sounds like you have a gorilla crab and you should try and get him out as soon as you can.

A good rule for crabs is if it has hair you dont want it:twitch:

koll12
05/08/2010, 11:37 PM
agreed....gorilla crab ...you need to get rid of it asap if you want to keep smaller fish

tate1
05/09/2010, 08:37 AM
I' ve never heard of such a thing. Thanks for posting. Something new to keep an eye out for.