PDA

View Full Version : nassarius and clams

jht4060
05/08/2010, 04:14 PM
I have a 70 gal tank with 6 Nassarius snails that I got as part of a cleaner package. I recently added a 3" derasa clam and within a week the Nassarius ate the clam, apparently killing it as well. The clam appeared completely healthy at first, but I soon noticed Nassarius frequently burrowed in the sand next to the clam and about then the clam started opening reluctantly. One day I got home and found the clam gaping and dead and a whole pack of Nassarius poked into the shell and eating the clam flesh. The Nassarius may have been rather hungry as I haven't been intentionally feeding them, though they should get lots of scraps from LPS coral and fish feeding. Tank is 4 months old and all the usual parameters are stable and well-maintained.

Searching on-line I can find a few references to Nassarius attacking clams, but some claim that this is just clams that died first and then were scavenged.

Does anyone have further information on this point? I decided to get rid of the Nassarius before trying another clam, but not sure this is correct.

How about bumblebee snails? I have several of those as well.

Sisterlimonpot
05/08/2010, 04:21 PM
I would tend to think that the nassarius had nothing to do with killing the clam, they are scavengers and would only come in to clean up dead flesh. I would tend to think that something else killed your clam or it just didn't survive for some other reason.

Sisterlimonpot
05/08/2010, 04:22 PM
BTW
[welcome]

jchase1970
05/08/2010, 04:27 PM
I dont think the snails had anything to do with it either. I have tons of them in my tank no problems.

Shane Hoffman
05/08/2010, 04:33 PM
IMO your tank is much to yourng to support a small clams needs. Clams in the 2 to 3 inch are are notoriously difficult to keep. The chances of a clam surviving the collection, transportation, and acclimation process greatly increase as the clam grows to and above the 4 inch mark. They are filter feeders that require high intensity lights. When they are youg at the 2 to 3 inch size and smaller they almost exclusively survive of of what they filter out of the water. Your tank couldnt possibly have the necessary lifeform in the water yet. As mentioned above the snails were just cleaning up the dead carcass. The clam may have been destined for death before you aquired it. There may have been nothing anyone could have done. Next time (I recommend when your tank is atleast 12 months old) try to get a clam above 4 inches. It will cost more but will have a much greater chance of survival. Your clam probably starved but it may have been something else. What were your water parameters?

Amonia?

Nitrite?

Nitrate?

SG?

Calcium?

Alkilinity?

Temp?

Also, what type of lighting do you have?

Misled
05/08/2010, 04:53 PM
Agreed, I have clams and large and small nassarius snails. Never had a problem. Do you have any pyramid snails? These will take a clam out and the other scavengers in the tank will finish the job.

jht4060
05/08/2010, 05:31 PM
Shane - thanks for the tips. pH 8.2, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate below detection, Ca 450, Alk 3.6 Meq (if I've converted right - I measure 180 mg/l), SG 1.025, lighting 250 W halide, clam about 18 in deep, temp 78 pretty stable.

Subie
05/08/2010, 10:10 PM
I have quite a few nassarius snails in my tank and a crocea clam. I've had it for almost 2 years now. I haven't had any problems. Would one of the nassarius have been whelk? They look similar and are known to attack and eat clams.

fishstory01
05/08/2010, 10:37 PM
I would tend to think that the nassarius had nothing to do with killing the clam, they are scavengers and would only come in to clean up dead flesh. I would tend to think that something else killed your clam or it just didn't survive for some other reason.

I would totally agree with this answer. They clean up not kill sorry about your clam btw. Thats to bad

hayes_101
05/08/2010, 10:40 PM
I have a HH clam or mussel in my 2 month old tank and he is growing like a weed. found him on some LR I picked up he is about 3/8" long. I did not relise they were hard to keep. now I know!

jht4060
05/08/2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks all for the information - very helpful. I'll wait to get another clam and stop blaming the Nassarius!

- Jim

Shane Hoffman
05/08/2010, 11:11 PM
Your parameters seem like they have nothing to do with your clams death. Your lighting is sufficient so that leaves either an acclimation or a collection issue (and the tank being to young to support its needs). How did you acclimate the clam? If it was damaged or didnt recieve enough food and light during collection and transportation thats not your fault of course. Most LFS will hold corals if you pay for them. Next time you buy a clam I would pay for it and ask the LFS to hold it for 2 weeks. This will give it time to recover after collection and transportation while giving you time to observe it and make sure its going to survive. I do this all the time at my LFS and only once did the coral die after I bought it. They refunded me hopefully your LFS would do the same.

nickandkara
05/09/2010, 01:27 AM
Not only will the snails start to scavenge when the clam is on it's way out but also shrimp and some fish. It does lead some to conclusions but I am certain that was not the culprit of the clams demise.