PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Scales? Anyone seen this?

WaffleWalffle22
05/08/2010, 08:10 PM
Hi!

I have 2 healthy Black Ocellaris. They spawned a few days ago which proves they are super healthy and happy! The last few months, they have had weird white spots. Not like ich, but a light grew splotch or two here and there on both the male and female, but more on the male. It isn't fungus or ich, but I don't know what it is. I was thinking it might be scales getting old and falling off to be replaced with new ones. It is too hard to get in a picture. All it is is a little grayish splotch in a few places. Is it old scales being replaced? What do you think it is? It isn't effecting the fish at all and none of the other fish have it. These are 2 years or more old.

LukFox
05/08/2010, 10:03 PM
Maybe they're getting rough with a tank mate? Spawning could lead them to be more aggressive, and maybe whoever they're picking on is winning the fights... It isn't normal for fish to just drop their old scales. I'd keep a close eye on them for sure. Without a clear picture it's hard to say.

WaffleWalffle22
05/09/2010, 03:25 PM
They are BFF with the Bangaii Cardinal and he is always hiding in the back. I have a 6 Line Wrasse that is 1.25" or less. He tried to eat the eggs, but the male fended him off and now the 6 Line won't come back. He always stays in the back, too. The female clown is 3" or more and the male is 1.5 or more. The spots are no longer on the female, but there is one on the male. The female doesn't attack the male, however she will dart at him sometimes to assert her authority. They are never picked on because they are the bullies. They always win the fights. The spots were showing up a few months before spawning, but I added some reef safe anti-parasite meds for a week and they seemed to clear up, but now only the male has one. I'm afraid to add the meds to the tank because of the eggs, but I'm going to start rearing the fry in a few months. Should I add the meds again after these eggs have hatched until they lay another batch? Will adding the meds disturb them to where they won't keep up a spawning routine?

LukFox
05/09/2010, 03:50 PM
What med are you talking about and now it looks like ich or something? It could be the hungry sixline... They can be sneaky.

WaffleWalffle22
05/13/2010, 07:43 PM
It's definitely not the six line.