PDA

View Full Version : what skimmer?

saltybastard
05/09/2010, 12:48 AM
So I am thinking of getting rid of my beckett skimmer, mostly because of power consumption (mag 18) and the fact that it is probably rated for a slightly smaller tank.

i currently have a 180g with a 50 g sump. It has a moderate stock of fish and softies. I do plan on keeping some lps and maybe even sps in the future so was wondering what skimmer to get.

I seen a few on the classifieds here and it appears that the swc extremes seem to be good bang for the buck. I've also seen bubble kings that are like almost 3x the price.

Here are some of the ones that i have been looking at. Swc msx 200 & 250 and the bubble king mini 200 (is it really worth that much more?). I'm hoping to stick in the below $400 range (used) and so far, the swc series seem to fit the bill. If the bubble king is really that much better, I may just go for it but would like some input first. Also, any other suggestions? I know deltecs are supposed to be good but again, very expensive for the larger ones.

nickandkara
05/09/2010, 01:17 AM
I think you are about to get a lot of different input here. I personally use an octopus ext-200 and it works great. I think they are a great bang for the buck. I know a lot of people who have $1k and above skimmer and my tank looks just as good as theirs. I'm more into it for the corals and not the fish so take it for what it's worth.