PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan problems 'Tek light elite"

viix
05/09/2010, 02:56 PM
Has anyone else been having problems with the Tek Light Elite cooling fans? Mine recently have been making alot of noise or not starting up at all. The fixture has been in use about a month.

liz62
05/19/2010, 11:22 AM
Yes I have the same problem and I know someone else that does too!

viix
05/22/2010, 08:43 AM
Go to the website for Sunlight Supply to get thier email address and let them know. It sounds like they have had a small amount of fixtures with this problem.

liz62
05/25/2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks viix!

mechano
05/31/2010, 05:05 AM
I also am having issues with all 3 fans on my tek fixture. hey are very noisy, and they too, do not start al the time. --very frustrating--

ct_vol
05/31/2010, 07:38 AM
That sucks!!! One thing you don't have to worry about with Sunlight Supply is customer service though... I've had a couple of ballasts fail under warranty, and they sent me out replacements immediately... I'm not sure if you guys have a different office for Canada, but PM me if you need the Phone # of a customer support person in the States... Good luck...

moondoggy4
05/31/2010, 10:33 AM
Remove the screw on top and pull out the fan see if you can pull out the wire to the quick connect. Then just tap the fan or move it in different directions. Also look at the four screws that hold the fan on the metal vent see if the fan is flush with the vent, the fans don't like be not level. The phillips screw driver is pretty small I use the one from Lowes it is blue with 4 phillips and four standard I uses the largest of the four. Just tapping the fan usually does the trick. I just put one screw on the vent remove it and tap it. Sunlight is aware of the problem I have been in contact with them for a couple of weeks.

liquidfunk
06/01/2010, 12:51 PM
I heard its a known problem to SLS, they have a fix available soon that will make them silent again. The fans are very quiet, Ive been told the housing of the fan is bending a little because its plastic and causing the fan to rub which makes a lot of noise, and burns out the fan.

If you have a noisy fan maybe pull it out and see if its quiet, it could be its just a little bent in the housing. Might buy you a little time until the fix's start shipping.

I was told to contact the dealer I purchased the light from to have SLS send the fix kit.

maroon2
06/03/2010, 12:59 PM
To all you guys w/ this fixture, how do you like it otherwise?

liz62
06/03/2010, 08:10 PM
I am very satisfied with the light other than the fan problem.

moondoggy4
06/04/2010, 03:44 PM
I am happy with my light. They will solve the fan problem, we just have to wait. I just slap the fan and it goes right back to work.

liquidfunk
07/23/2010, 10:00 AM
did everyone get there fans fixed? I hear repair kits went out to everyone. Mine came with some goodies too :)

moondoggy4
08/19/2010, 07:59 PM
Funny I was one of the first to inform them and I have not received anything.

mechano
08/27/2010, 05:37 PM
I recieved mine about 1-2 months ago w/some goodies as well. Really like the lighting fixture though.
I got the light fix pak with new power supply and fans, a small bucket of H2Ocean salt, some coral dip, some fish food, and a catalogue. Pretty good customer service(not perfect, but still good)

moondoggy4
08/27/2010, 09:01 PM
I called and left a message with them today. I hope I do not get a run around.

SammyJ916
08/28/2010, 12:36 AM
Reefgeek was saying to me today as I ordered some stuff that the tel light elite fixtures were being re done because if al the problems with them and should have the problem fixed and start releasing the new ones within the next few weeks. Sucks with all the problems they are having but makes me happy I went with the ati sunpower when thyroid me about the problems before ordering the elite!

reefsurfing
08/28/2010, 09:57 AM
Yes I did the same and went with the ATI vs the tek. just because the fan problem has been a reoccuring problem. I was also told the way the fans blow across the bulbs needs improved. That doesnt change the fact that they are great fixtures, they are, I am happy with my sunpower alternative though b/c they are similar in price.