PDA

View Full Version : SPS corals for my tank?

andy.thompson12
05/09/2010, 04:07 PM
So, I went to my LFS last December and purchased two VERY small frags; one being a green seriatopora and the other pocillopora. I don't know exactly what kinds they are but the time period between the two green coral pics is about 4.5 months (i think it's good growth). I have 4 X 54 watt T5 bulbs over my 55 gallon tank and they seem to be doing fine.
My first question is: What other SPS corals would be good for me, I really would like to add more, but I need something that will thrive under T5s. I also want something that I actually like

Second, I am moving my tank to a lab I work at in The University of Iowa Biology Building. I may be able to get more lights, but when I do move the tank, it will be in a south facing window that only has direct light for a few hours (because it's facing a courtyard with a building across from it). I have heard many conflicting arguments for natural light, but I haven't heard of anything about natural light for a few hours, couldn't it be beneficial? (algae problem would not happen bc I have a magnificent sump with cheato)....

last, any clams for me??? I know I may be pushing it, but I say it's worth a shot

jk1nole
05/09/2010, 04:15 PM
I've been looking for some SPS like you... I have a 65 with T5's. I recently bought a Purple Montipora. I think they grow well and have unique growth pattern. I've seen orange and purple.

Just google montipora and see what you think.

andy.thompson12
05/09/2010, 04:22 PM
yeah, I do like those...but i am still looking for branching corals. I always think of this--> http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-07/totm/index.php when I want more SPS corals. This guy has an amazing tank with only T5 lights. He has 10X 80 watt bulbs in a 206 gallon tank =3.8 Watts/ gallon mine is 4 X 54 watts in a 55 gallon which is 3.9 watts per gallon....so idk, this gives me some hope. I'm just trying to find something because no one is specific enough with what I can and cannot get.

cloak
05/09/2010, 05:36 PM
As long as you can keep your parameters stable and the lighting is sufficient, which T5 are, you can pretty much get whatever you want. There will be some casualties, but that's just how it goes. Try to see if there is a local reef club in the area, I'm sure you can get some small frags of all types and then go from there. Start them low, and then bring them up high. Those sps corals do take patience...

Good luck.

footballdude2k3
05/09/2010, 07:20 PM
you can keep anything under t5s, not sure if you have enough to keep it anywhere, however if you keep it near the top you should be good to go. just make sure that if you keep any acros that you have enough flow, that will be what kills it imho.

cloak
05/10/2010, 04:27 AM
Flow is good, but I don't think the slack will kill it. Time will tell I guess...

IslandCrow
05/10/2010, 08:31 AM
You're going to have to tell us more about your lighting, as all T5 lighting is not the same. If you have a 4-bulb ATI Powermodule over your tank, you can keep Acropora, clams, whatever you want. If you have some setup you bought off e-bay with a single, low quality reflector, you probably can't keep anything more light demanding than that Pocillopora. I was able to keep Acros towards the top of my 46g under a 4-bulb Tek T5 (although they did better with my 5-bulb Icecap retro). I also had no problem with a couple derasa clams on the bottom of the tank, as they're some of the least light demanding of the giant clams. They do get rather big, though (1-2 feet across I believe). In my case, I knew I'd be moving within a year, so it wasn't an issue. Croceas and maximas stay relatively small, and are perfect for a 55g, but they are the two most light demanding Tridacnids. Fortunately, they will use bissal threads to attach themselves to the rockwork, so placing them higher up in the tank is certainly an option. The only issue there is clams are best viewed from the top and not at eye level. You can compensate for this somewhat if you're able to angle them towards the viewer, though.

droth335
05/10/2010, 09:38 AM
If you want to get some great frags at a good price make the trip down I-80 to Des Moines on Saturday for the GIRS (Greater Iowa Reef Society) Spring Fest...there should be a lot of good stuff priced reasonably...http://reeffest.greateriowareefsociety.org/

andy.thompson12
05/10/2010, 02:50 PM
Droth335: aww man! That would have been perfect at any other time, but im going home (to chicago) this weds.

->Island Crow: •Built-In Electronic T5 Ballasts
•Intergrated Digital Timer
•Highly Polished Contoured Reflector
•1x Power Cord
•3x Power Switch (1 - T5 + Cooling Fan, 1 - T5, 1 - Bluemoon LED)
•Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
•Built-In Cooling Fan
•Clear Acrylic Lens Cover
•Mounting Legs Included

Is this a good light? I was a little hesitant when I purchased it, but I read some good reviews. I thought it all depended on the type of bulbs you use....like Geisman (which I don't have....YET)

the brand is Odyssea

I do like Derasa Clams, but I wouldn't buy it online unless it was WYSIWYG (because I know how some can be ugly)...The pic of the one on SWF.com is really nice looking though.

but back to Acropora: If I WERE to take a chance on a branching coral such as acro (in different colors and such)....what could I get? I have read that it depends on the color of the coral as well, but can I do something like purple nana or something hot pink? Im trying to get colors other than green in my tank, otherwise I would get a green slimer since everyone says that.

IslandCrow
05/10/2010, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a lower end T-5. The higher end T-5s that you hear people raving about have individual, highly reflective (generally around 98%) reflectors. The bulbs themselves don't make as much of a difference. Just based on your description, I wouldn't recommend trying Acropora with that light. The T5s I would recommend for Acropora (in rank order) would be ATI, Aquactinics or Tek (made by Sunlight Supply). Current USA Nova Extreme Pros may cut it, but wouldn't be optimum. There are a couple newer ones out there that may do the trick, but I'm not familiar enough with them to make a recommendation.

Have you considered Montipora digitata. There isn't nearly the selection that you have with Acropora, but they're a similar looking coral and much less light demanding.

andy.thompson12
05/10/2010, 04:37 PM
I still don't understand about the reflectors... :-/ What is 98%? And what is individual? I ask this because each bulb in my fixture has a reflective metal surface surrounding the bulb in a "U" shape. Are there fixtures that simply have a background reflector (one that doesn't curve around the bulbs?

~and I forgot about Montipora Digi., that souds like a good addition to my tank

IslandCrow
05/10/2010, 06:44 PM
98% as in it reflects approximately 98% of the light. By individual, I mean each bulb has its own reflector. This is important, because it allows the maximum amount of light from each bulb to be directed towards the thank. Think of it this way. If you have just a single flat reflector behind the bulbs, a large portion of the light it reflects is directed right back at the bulb, which blocks it from ever reaching the tank. A properly designed reflector is going to angle that light back so it reaches the tank rather than getting blocked.

What it sounds like you have is a single, contoured reflector. It's much better than a flat reflector, but the design on these is usually far from optimum, still allowing a good amount of light to be wasted. The better fixtures will actually have separate reflectors for each bulb. Theoretically, I suppose you could do the same thing with a single reflector contoured for each bulb, but creating an optimal design in this fashion just doesn't seem to be as practical.

badger126
05/10/2010, 06:50 PM
I was going to suggest the digitata as well, or any of the montipora family for that matter. they are easier to keep than the acros and have very good growth. one of my first sps was an idaho grape montipora and it's grown tremendously since I've had it.

andy.thompson12
05/10/2010, 08:55 PM
So acros are the hardest to keep?

IslandCrow
05/11/2010, 11:17 AM
Hardest to keep is always a tricky subject, but Acropora are certainly some of the most light demanding corals out there, so if you can't meet that basic need, they're extremely difficult/impossible to keep. That's not to say that all Acros have the same light requirements, but they do all require relatively intense lighting.

andy.thompson12
05/11/2010, 11:39 AM
Ok, so one more thing....back to the clams...should I just stick to sand dwelling clams like Derasa and Squamosa? or would THAT even be pushing it?

andy.thompson12
06/28/2010, 09:55 AM
r u saying that some lighting systems produce better light/ quality of light than others? I thought it was just the type of bulbs....