PDA

View Full Version : What could be killing my fish?

racefan
05/09/2010, 06:29 PM
I've lost a couple fish lately. I assumed it was my Banded Coral shrimp since I'd seen it taking swipes at some fish. I've lost 2 Wrasses(at various intervals) I just lost 2 more fish in the last couple weeks. I got rid of the shrimp thinking I had the problem solved. Lo & behold, today I cannot find my Engineer Goby. I cannot even find the carcass of it. Now this no small Goby either,it was about 8" to 10" long. Any ideas of what can be doing this? I can't fathom what could eat the Goby that fast. When I did a water change today I looked from the top down inside & cannot see a carcass even.The only fish left are a female Clown & a small Blue Hippo Tang about 11/2" long.

Jarret
05/09/2010, 06:41 PM
Did you check your floor?

racefan
05/09/2010, 06:48 PM
Ya it's got an glass top so it couldn't of went carpet surfing

footballdude2k3
05/09/2010, 07:17 PM
possible mantis shrimp, i would think that the wrasse would be too quick for a cbs to get it.

racefan
05/09/2010, 07:23 PM
Don't Mantis Shrimp usually come in on something?(like live rock) I have not added any rock for a couple years. I have not even added any coral in awhile.

footballdude2k3
05/09/2010, 07:24 PM
oh wow, yea that would not be a mantis, im sorta stumped....

sedor
05/09/2010, 07:28 PM
Could be your source. Are you getting all these fish from the same place? Its not as common anymore but there are still people out there who purchase from livestock collectors that use cyanide as a means for capturing wild fish. Generally they end up in the more discount saltwater fish stores and usually don't have a very good chance of surviving for any length of time. Its just a though, I experienced this once before and I never could prove it but as soon as I started shopping at other stores, my luck changed...hmmm.

Jabrams
05/09/2010, 09:25 PM
what are your water parameters?

Your wrasse probably died while buried, did you dig in the sandbed for them?
Did you check your overflow? Sump? Pump impeller chamber?

jdthomas24
05/09/2010, 09:35 PM
have you tested your water?

racefan
05/10/2010, 07:01 PM
Here's the water Parameters. PH-8.2 Amm.0.25(usually they are 0) Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0 SG-1.024 Calc.-500 Phos.-0(test kit,I don't have a meter) Mag.-1250 Alk.-6.4 I dosed a little ALK/KH buffer after I tester the water to slowly raise the Alk.The Wrasses that died were only a few days old.My concern is the clown & mostly the Goby,they were 2 & 3 years old.

racefan
05/11/2010, 08:52 PM
OK Sitting back regrouping & thinking this through. I forgot, I did get a Ric on a small piece of rock about a month ago.
The tank was broken down & moved downstairs in late January. I did not see any worms at that time. I do have a couple good sized Hermit Crabs that live in large Turbo Snail shell's.Could it be them?

trigger:)
05/11/2010, 09:33 PM
To eliminate the question of a shrimp make a fish trap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKizvpGKPk, see what u can catch! Is it possible u have a lot of rock and just can't find him. How big is the tank, and how much rock do u have! How long has the fish been missing, if a fish that big is still in there ur ammonia levels should be going sky hi?? How close to a water change did they die?? I have had fish die from what I believe was a ph shock!!

blennydude
05/11/2010, 10:42 PM
Why would you have an amonia reading? If you have fish, you have nitrates, no buts about it. Something is outa whack there. (imho)