PDA

View Full Version : feeding a copperband while away

HndMafia
05/09/2010, 08:25 PM
Work has taken me out of town for an extended time and I have someone currently feeding measured portions to my reef at the present time. However, if work sends me away again I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for feeding my copperband w/out a tank sitter? The copperband is the only thing in my tank that refuses to eat anything other than frozen mysis. Your ideas are appreciated--I'd hate to send my copperband back to the lfs.

tylorarm
05/09/2010, 10:30 PM
How extended? They can survive off live rock for a while. I've never had success getting mine to eat anything other than live blackworms and live clams. He doesn't eat any of the usual pellets nor mysis. When i've gone on the road he's gone hungry but seems to have survived. I usually only leave for 9 days or so and feed him heavily prior and when i return.

SMOOTHIE
05/09/2010, 10:35 PM
Soak some freeze dried foods and see if he will accept those. If so get an autofeeder. The food will drop in the ring and rehydrate a little before sinking.

Reefbox
05/09/2010, 10:42 PM
If he eats aiptasia introduce aiptasia to the tank. It will grow but he will keep it under control. Just make sure he likes it first. Some copperbands do and some don't.

gwlaws
05/10/2010, 06:49 PM
Do a search for freeze dried black worms. I have not tried them yet but I am considering. I just got my copperband to eat the live black worms a week ago so it's to soon for me.

jimroth
05/11/2010, 09:33 AM
What I do for vacation feeding is to portion out the frozen food in cubes and put it in one of those pill holders for old people with the days of the week on the lids of the little compartments. It stays in the freezer. Then they just thaw out or dump in the portion. I have one now that has 2 compartments for each day, so I put pellets in one for the AM and frozen in the other for the PM. And no, my CBB won't eat pellets either.