PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

BigMo5x
05/10/2010, 12:43 AM
Ok so I have done freshwater tanks my entire life... minus last couple of yrs due to remotes and deployments. Now that I have the time to get back into this I want to give salt a try. Lets just say... I am salt dumb. I have been doing a lot of research and getting conflicting information on how to do this correctly. My wife bought me a 20 gallon for my bday and was thinking Nano reef. Luck just so had it that we received 2 turtles in a 10 gallon tank and the dudes kept getting out of the tank so I put them in my 20. My wife gave me permission, haha, to get a larger tank and I am thinking of turning the 10 gal into a sump. Pretty much what I am asking for is some guidance on how to set this up and maybe one of you will be able to hook me up and meet in person to talk about what I need to do. I live by Tori but work out of Kadena. Any halp would be appreciated. I am thinking of building my own sump with the 10 gallon and my main tank will be anywhere from 40-55 gallons. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

2t2_crash
05/11/2010, 02:19 AM
Mo, that you? Travis.... fleet.... LST trucks?

anyhow... I would suggest something bigger than a 10 gal for a sump, I am running a 30 gal for my sump and barely fit the equipment in it. Another thing to remember is to TAKE IT SLOW when setting up.... dont dump all your stuff in and then a bunch of fish all at once..

sand, L/R (got mine out of the ocean... scuba divers can be of help here to avoid algae covered rocks)... and maybe a damsel or two to help cycle.. plus a cup of live sand from the beach or donor tank to seed.

I might have a bag and a half of sand you can have.

getting eyes on with other tanks will help you too.

2t2_crash
05/11/2010, 02:28 AM
here was my tank during setup and just starting to cycle.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/2T2_Crash/aquarium/PICT0182.jpg

TPS-Dive
05/15/2010, 06:04 PM
BigMo,
If you have time during the day stop by the DoDDS building on Torri station, across the street from the club. There is a 50 gal in the main building and a 25 gal in the lower building. Come down to the lower building and ask for Jeff or Terry. I, Terry, will be on leave the next two weeks but Jeff helped me start from scratch.