PDA

View Full Version : Icecap Wiring/ Whats ok

T575
05/10/2010, 07:13 PM
Licensed electrician or not. The power leads off an icecap 660 or any other icecap ballast. I have a Icecap 660 and an Icecap timer. Is it really safe or ok to have a few feet of the three “Hot wires” running in the open? What are my other options or is this just fine and dandy.

Thank you

sbeason
05/10/2010, 07:34 PM
Shouldnt be a problem. I would say my power cords are 3' ~ 4' in length and the leads to each lamp/socket are much longer than that. This is for my icecap 660 to vho's.

Thanks, Steve

Gold Stripe
05/10/2010, 08:06 PM
Define "in the open". If you mean just not housed in additional shielding or pipe but enclosed or behind a stand then yes its fine. If you mean running along a baseboard out in the open (ie: not behind or covered by anything then maybe not.

The risk would be something or someone falling on them and somehow cutting through the shielding on the wire to the point of grounding two of them together or touching the hot while grounded. If you have only adults in the house then no problem. If you have small children or pets then I would probably go to Lowes and get some cheap shield to put around them.

T575
05/10/2010, 09:25 PM
2-3 feet of power leads going from the ballast to to timer