PDA

View Full Version : Small tears in LTA's foot

sneeyatch
05/11/2010, 07:11 AM
I added a LTA to my soon to be species only tank yesterday and all looked fine at purchase and even in the bag. This morning, the tank is cloudy, the nem is shriveled (all contracted in a ball and obviously very ****ed looking) but firm feeling. Since it wasn't attached, I removed it into a container for observation. I noticed that it may have a couple of really small tears on the foot. I know it's a vague question, but does anyone know of it's chances? I've heard that nems can survive nasty damage in the wild, but I've also heard that once the foot is hurt, then it generally doesn't look good.

Thanks for any advice.

Coral Hind
05/11/2010, 07:27 AM
Why was the tank cloudy? Was something attacking the LTA? What else is in the tank?

They can heal from tears in the foot if healthy and the water quality is good. If they can handle being cut in half, a little tear shouldn't be an issue for a healthy specimen.

sneeyatch
05/11/2010, 07:45 AM
I don't know why the tank is cloudy... No smell at all either - nothing funky. Looks like it's a bacterial bloom or it spawned overnight? I doubt the spawning... Parameters all read good:

Temp - 79 - 80
SG - 1.025 - 026
pH - 8.2
alk - 8.5
amm - 0
trites - 0
trates - maybe - no more than 5? tough to distinguish the color but not more than 5.

No fish in the system at all. Only maybe 10 - 15 lbs LR which has been cycled and in use for well over 5 years. Sand bed is maybe 4" and a mixture of different types of substrate. Small clean up crew of some hermits.

The tank itself is a 20 gallon hex - Coralife 150 watt halide clamp on - HOB filter with a sponge and running some carbon now and a Korallia 1 for circulation.

I plan on doing a 20% waterchange soon and cleaning the filter to be safe.

Pinkskunk
05/11/2010, 08:26 AM
from what i have read, LTA with a foot injury, especially tear, is a dead LTA. However, i hope your will be an exception.

sneeyatch
05/11/2010, 09:53 AM
Yeah - this thing's out the door. It's pretty much deteriorating in the observation container it's in... damn.

Inklinkerman
05/11/2010, 10:02 AM
How long was it set up for?