PDA

View Full Version : Marine Aquarists

annabanana
05/11/2010, 11:35 AM
Hi - just wanted to start a post to ask a very general question because I am curious:

How did you get involved in this hobby?

I am actually a graduate student, lurking on this forum, trying to learn all that I can because I need help with my project (which involves setting up an ozone generator in a tank in my lab.)

Anyway, just wanted to poll the crowd and see what got you interested in becoming a marine aquarist!

Anna

thebkramer
05/11/2010, 11:38 AM
Saltwater fish are gorgeous and I wanted some :lol2:
Then, I had to have corals, and then have more of this and that, and well....here I am!!!

Edit: :bounce3: WELCOME TO RC!! :bounce3:

Good luck on your project!! You can also try the DIY thread, lots of info there that might help you!

annabanana
05/11/2010, 11:45 AM
Shoot! This somehow got posted multiple times on this forum! Well, thanks for the reply :)

Fizz71
05/11/2010, 01:01 PM
I do it because it's living art that I can be a big part of. I'm not very good at drawing, music or any of the usual art forms so this is one of those things I can be creative at that uses more mental and technical skills like biology, physics and other sciences. People come over to my house and can spend an hour or more looking at different things in my tank with about 16ft of viewing surface. It's like a piece of my own art that I'm very proud of.

It's also nice to just sit and watch. :)

johnike
05/11/2010, 02:00 PM
Started salt in the 80's with an 80 tall, with a lionfish, marine betta, and a snowflake eel after tiring of the Discus. Then I saw that danged mushroom on that rock. The rest is history.

billdogg
05/11/2010, 02:02 PM
I blame Sea Hunt, Jacques Cousteau, and my parents friend when I was young. He had the 1st dive shop in columbus, ohio (mid 60's) and a cool little marine tank.