PDA

View Full Version : quick question- need quick responses

john90009
05/11/2010, 06:37 PM
Iv seen fish stores in my area setup new tanks with new sand and new water yet they put in there old established rock and in with the corals right away and no ill effects. Does the sand not create a harsh cycle or what goes on?

spamreefnew
05/11/2010, 06:48 PM
i dont think its a big deal if you have some time under your belt

travis32
05/11/2010, 06:52 PM
I essentially did this with the startup of my tank. The 80+ pounds of live rock I got had a lot of corals established on it. Mostly soft corals. My tank had newly inserted CC and brand new Live sand. I let it sit that way for a couple weeks expecting the corals to all die. Nothing happened. I bought a CUC and threw in some algae pallets (which probably initiatied a slight cycle, but nothing the rock couldn't handle). From there, life just started taking over.

If the fish store isn't feeding heavily or putting fish in right away, It worked fine for me. I still waited a month or almost 2 before adding fish. I only added two, and still only have 3 fish at almost 4 months.

So, no I don't think it's a problem if it's rock from a tank that was well stocked and fed everyday. Mine came from a 110 g well stocked tank.

john90009
05/11/2010, 07:09 PM
cause initially when people put in sand they go right away as working and bubbles form in a few hours so wouldn't it be like if the water was clean then it would pick up right where established sand let off?