PDA

View Full Version : skimmer placement

troyman
05/11/2010, 07:05 PM
does it effect skimming if the skimmer is in the clean water return chamber in sump area water that has been filtered

reefermad619
05/11/2010, 07:17 PM
Defeats the purpose of the skimmer. Should put the skimmer in same chamber that water enters sump. If you run in the return section, half the water going back to tank would be un-skimmed.

troyman
05/11/2010, 07:24 PM
well that makes no sense beacause the return pupm is 1200gph skimmer pump is 500 so its cant skimm all the water that comes into sump anyways i just asking if the filtered water effects skimming at all or that the filter process does not take out what skimmer does

reefermad619
05/12/2010, 08:27 AM
Are you running filter socks? I would want the skimmer in the chamber/section I suggested You would want to keep you skimmer at a constant water height. Placing in return section would subject the skimmer to fluctuations in water level due to evaporation. This would definitly cause the skimmer's performance to fluctuate. Plus if your skimmer has a lot of bubble exiting the exit tube, these bubble will go directly back into your display. My skimmer has that problem. Once the flow goes through a few bubble traps it's bubble free. Hop this helps. Why do you want the skimmer in the return section? I should have asked that first. :)

troyman
05/12/2010, 08:53 AM
only place i have room for it

ZurichOne95
05/12/2010, 11:15 AM
You should changeup your sump. One of my buds has a deltec skimmer, thats fed from his overflow. There is a circulation pump that airates the bubbles into the chamber, so every drop is being skimmed going to the sump. Has a really powerful return for a 150 Marineland tank.

reefermad619
05/12/2010, 02:08 PM
If you have no other choice, then run whatever way you can. I think having a skimmer in the return section is better than not having a skimmer at all.