PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Toadfish (Opsanus Beta)

Mental1
05/12/2010, 09:38 AM
I adopted a Gulf Toadfish from a local Petco as no one could get him to eat. I put him in my sump as there were 3 feeder fish and a reef lobster in there. Well as far as I could tell he ate the feeders and he ate grass shrimp whenever I threw them in there.

One day I was looking at him and I saw some white spots. I got him closer so I could take a good look and it looked like the lobster was thinking he needed to give him a good pinch. Well, I made some fish movements and moved the toadfish immediately to a different tank. I put feeder fish and shrimp in with him but he hides all of the time.

This morning I went down and he was sitting in such a way that I got a look at him. The white spot was still there and it was bigger. I guess every time I saw him, I only saw the good side! I can't really get a picture because he hides in the middle of a tank with rock and lots of macroalgae. But the spot is about 1/2 long and a quarter inch wide. And it looks kinds of fuzzy but really hard to get a good look. I will have to pull him out to get a picture and he will be mad.

I do not have a QT set up but I do have a 10g with shrimp in it. However, this is a big fish -- it is probably 6 inches long? It doesn't move around a lot but the bioload would be crazy. Also, they bite, some say they are venomous but Richard from TBS says he has handled a bunch of these guys and they just bite.

Suggestions? Oh, BTW, I never see him eat but fish and shrimp do disappear so I assume they have gone to his stomach. I have had him a little over 2 months.

Any suggestions?