PDA

View Full Version : XM 15K 250w DE bulb Re-Designed?? Does this mean it doesn't suck anymore?

redfishsc
05/12/2010, 08:15 PM
Noticed this today. I know this lamp, in the 250w DE format, has a dismal reputation for low PAR output.

Anyone have any idea what they mean by "re-designed"?

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=178

grigsy
05/12/2010, 09:12 PM
It's probably just marketing.

I know the XM 20K is a good bulb. Their 15K is terrible.

redfishsc
05/13/2010, 07:13 AM
From the data I've seen, both the XM 15 and 20K are pretty dismal (in the DE versions--- the mogul 20K is supposed to be one of the best though).

Oh well.

I've been looking for a better option on my Phoenix. It doesn't have as much blue, and looks kinda washed out.

stanlalee
05/13/2010, 10:13 AM
way over a year ago XM told me they were redoing the 15k bulb completely and it would be the PAR leader in that category. they were well aware of the "old" XM15k performance. the "new" 15k's were suppose to be released the first quarter of LAST YEAR (09') which I was told from the horses mouth. As far as I know that never happened and this is the first mention I've seen of the new 15k actually being available. Its suppose to be nothing like the old poor performing XM15k but if I were purchasing I would want to make good and well there's some sort of verifyable way I know I'm getting the new design.

for the record the XM15k and XM20k perform nearly identicle as far as PAR (negligable differences for every wattage). The XM20k performs like a typical 20k bulb and isn't considered a poor performer for what it is. The XM15K you sacrafice color for NO gain in output vs the 20k which is why it really sucks (or sucked I should say IF the new design performs much better).

dendrodude
06/10/2010, 04:36 PM
anyone had a chance to find out any new info on the 15k? I have one ordered from the lfs and they sent a 20k. The 15k was backordered but is now on the way. How can I be sure that I am getting the new one and is the new one really better? If I cant figure it out I can just buy the 20k but I want more growth as I am buying all my corals as frags.