PDA

View Full Version : dosing or calcium reactor??

saltybastard
05/12/2010, 11:06 PM
I plan on keeping some lps eventually and only have softies at the moment. I'm debating between getting a calcium reactor or a 2 part dosing system in order to maintain calcium/alkalinity. I've heard that calcium reactors are "old school" and quite frankly, i have no idea how to operate one despite reading up on them. Also, do they control alkalinity?

The dosing method seems a little easier. I read an article on 2 part dosing (baking soda + calcium chloride) and then adding magnesium separately every now and then manually. This seems a bit random and I'm not sure how to regulate it. Do i dose baking soda and calcium chloride at the same rate? Also, when exactly do i add the magnesium chloride?

Is there any easier way? If not, what relatively inexpensive but decent 2 part doser would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!!

mutateddogbone
05/12/2010, 11:09 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

i would stick with 2 part, you have more control over dosing amounts and Ca reactors can be fidgity at times, they are also known to leech phosphate from reactor media and I know a couple people whose tanks crashed from a malfunctioning Ca reactor. if you dont plan on doing SPS, stick with the 1.1 mL dosing pump or less. BRS sells one for 80 bux.

Tuscaquatics
05/12/2010, 11:13 PM
I'm kicking my coralline into high gear in my 3 month old 75, and I've gone back to dripping kalkwasser. I did the two-part for a while and I wasn't impressed. I was adding alkalinity at a much, much faster rate than calcium. And because of this, my pH was swinging all over the place. Now that I've gone back to kalk, everything seems easier to keep up with. This is just my experience, and I don't have any SPS, just softies and a couple pieces of LPS. So my demands aren't as high as some. But when and if I do get into SPS, I plan on trying a calcium reactor.

saltybastard
05/12/2010, 11:30 PM
This may sound dumb but how does kalk adding work?

Also, i seen a kangaroo dosing 2 part pump for sale on the classifieds here. Any good?

mutateddogbone
05/12/2010, 11:36 PM
kalk is calcium hydroxide

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

good article how it works

saltybastard
05/13/2010, 12:03 AM
interesting...Thanks! Kalkwasser seems to be the easiest method> Am I right?

Also, how are kangaroo dosing pumps?

Doc's_reef09
05/13/2010, 12:27 AM
hmm thanks for the link on the kalk. i have been trying to find it. seems alot easyier also

mr.maroonsalty
05/13/2010, 06:05 AM
Make sure you understand Lime very well before venturing into it; it is very easy to do great harm with it if you don't know what you are doing! My main method is Lime dosing w/ two part as needed. I would put a Ca Rx in without hesitating if ever my needs list and budget allows. I hope someday I have to be using all three methods to meet the demands of my tanks.

thegrun
05/13/2010, 07:07 AM
Unless you have a huge calcium demand (abundance of SPS corals), I would strongly recommend topping off with Kalkwasser, by far the easiest method to keep Ca and Alk in balance (IMHO). Even in my 28 nano which is SPS dominated, I use Kalkwasser and just boost up the calcium and magnesium once a week to keep their levels up.

Chris27
05/13/2010, 07:20 AM
Kalk is very easy - and if you put enough thought into the delivery system, you can rest easily at night knowing that you built a reliable fool proof setup.

For a high calcium demand tank - Calcium reactor is the way to go, after the initial investment and tweaking, it's set and forget for a good long time. Two part is ok, but it involves a lot of user interaction to get to the set and forget point.

saltybastard
05/13/2010, 12:05 PM
I like the once a week kalkwasser top off. Sounds easy with no need for any additional equipment.

sedor
05/13/2010, 12:38 PM
Kalkwasser can and will take care of low-mid level chemical demands, but as a few people mentioned you have a lot less control over how much Ca and Alk you are putting in your tank. With 2 part dosing you dose exactly what you need of each item and then you repeat that method daily in order to take care of the specific demands of your tank. Overall I think a calcium reactor is an easier option once its up and running, but it can be a lot tougher to adjust and get working properly.

My suggestion would be to go with 2 part dosing.