PDA

View Full Version : quite pump for coralife super skimmer 65

Allmost
05/13/2010, 03:53 PM
Hello all,

so I have had it with RIO pumps, lol, this tank is in my room and the rio pump makes just too much noise.

would a MJ1200 be a good replacement ? would a fishing line mod on its impeller and a DIY venturi do it ?

if anyone has experience with this skimmer, please let me know, are there any other pumps out there that have less noise ?

thanks in advance

Zebodog
05/13/2010, 05:09 PM
If you haven't already, check this out.

http://tylermerrick.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/08/modifing-the-coralife-super-skimmer-css/

Many will tell you the SS is a bad skimmer, and while there are better out there, a few simple mods will make these a decent performer.

USF Nealio
05/13/2010, 05:26 PM
You seriously hear the pump? My AC fuge makes more water noise than the pump on my SS65. The air vent on the other hand made a lot of noise until I replaced the silencer box with an air valve like that site says to do.

Allmost
05/14/2010, 08:30 AM
You seriously hear the pump? My AC fuge makes more water noise than the pump on my SS65. The air vent on the other hand made a lot of noise until I replaced the silencer box with an air valve like that site says to do.

I used the skimmer for about a year, worked perfect and I did a mod on it so the output pures into a HOB Fuge and ...
then it was resting for a year, and just last month I set up another new tank and thought of using this again, but the pump has gone bad it seems, soaked it in viniger for a day, washed it, ... nothing !

its a RIO 1100 and they are pretty noisy in general.

hopefully someone has replaced theirs and can help me on it.

Allmost
05/14/2010, 08:31 AM
If you haven't already, check this out.

http://tylermerrick.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/08/modifing-the-coralife-super-skimmer-css/

Many will tell you the SS is a bad skimmer, and while there are better out there, a few simple mods will make these a decent performer.

not the best, but they are decent, I cant compare it to the Euro reefs I have on the other tanks lol